Thursday, December 16, 2010

Oh Fudge!

            I had my annual physical this morning. You’ll be happy to know I seem to be in excellent health. I don’t even need blood work this year because last year’s tests results were so good. I’m thrilled because of the fasting involved in blood work—skipping breakfast makes me VERY cranky. Unfortunately, I was informed that I need to drop 10-15 pounds—which wasn’t really a surprise. I have not been getting my butt to the gym as obsessively as I was last year and I haven’t altered my diet to account for the drop in exercise.
            So I did what anyone else would do after getting news like that. I went home and made a few pounds of fudge. It’s not for me! I make “goody” baskets for my sister-in-law and brother-in-law and their families at Christmas. Today was the day I set aside for making all the treats. I made Cookies & Cream Fudge (aka crack—only tastier) and Chocolate with Walnuts both from the Nestle website for the second year in a row. Last year I made Alton Brown’s recipe for peanut butter fudge and the flavor was pretty good and it was ridiculously easy—but the texture was somewhere between chalk and paste. So I decided to try something new. After perusing a number of Peanut Butter Fudge recipes I cobbled together this one I want to share with you.

One of my famous care packages from a previous year.


Vickie’s Fabulous Peanut Butter Fudge

You will need:

3 cups confectioner’s sugar
2 1/4 cups of brown sugar
1/2 cup milk or evaporated milk**
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 Cup of Peanut Butter*
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment or foil.

Place confectioner’s sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and set aside.

Combine milk, butter and brown sugar in a saucepan and mix over medium heat. Bring to a boil and stir constantly for 3 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla extract.

Pour over confectioner’s sugar and mix until thoroughly combined.

Spread in pan and chill for about 2 hours or until set.


*I use all-natural chunky peanut butter from Trader Joe’s. Don’t groan! Even if you don’t like the natural stuff in a sandwich, it makes WAY better fudge. Think of all the sugar and fat we’re going to be adding.

**I prefer evaporated milk because I keep low-fat milk in the house and I certainly don’t want anything low-fat going in my candy!


            Now I know a lot of bloggers include step-by-step photos with their recipes. But I didn’t know that this fudge was going to so tasty that I’d want to share it with you. Plus, I’m not so sure I’m skilled enough to cook and click at the same time. Next time I’ll show you the pretty way I package up the fudge. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I want that pan. Now. Everyone is talking fudge. I even saw a kid bring it for my Oldest's teacher today during their Christmas party. The thought of stealing it ran, really fast mind you, through my head.

    Who thinks of stealing teacher fudge?!

    Pathetic me.

    Know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Buying fudge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you ever made that fudge with fluff? i can only imagine that MUST be amazing! unfortunatly it takes a whole jar of fluff, and who has an entire jar of fulff? if you buy fluff and DON'T give your kids PB&f right away, you may not make the mum hall of fame. i think you are a founding member?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG "Crack, only tastier." I'm *still* laughing about that and (not-so-strangely) craving some fudge!

    I hear you on the fasting bit; not my best form AT ALL. I'm glad to hear that the appt went well and I cn;t think of a better way to celebrate besides fudge! Thanks for the fab looking recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ash-I don't think it's pathetic to want to steal teacher's fudge. I'd love to have all the Dunkin' Donuts cards they get here :-). Mmmm free coffee...

    Julie-The trick is to buy the BIG thing of fluff for sandwiches and the little jar for fudge :-). I mean, that little jar is just silly for everyday use!

    Galit-Get or make some fudge! Calories don't count until January 1st :-).

    ReplyDelete