Monday, May 16, 2011

An Open Letter to a Deliquent Season


Dear Spring,

            Here in the Northeast, we miss you terribly. Some people tell me that you’re already here. Yes, I have noticed all of the signs that suggest your presence: the date on the calendar, the bright green leaves on all the maple trees, the gaggle of goslings produced by the Canada geese down the street, and the cardinals who have built a nest and laid eggs in my rhododendron. But, my friend Spring, the thermostat suggests March, rather than May. The temperature has only flirted with the 60’s since the Vernal Equinox.
You know the old saying, “April showers bring May flowers”? Well, Spring, it’s May 16th and May showers bring nothing but mud and standing water. You know what that brings? Mosquitoes. Which begets Eastern Equine Encephalitis and West Nile Virus. Is that what you want your legacy to be?
            I know, I know, after this winter I swore I wasn’t going to complain about the weather as long as it doesn’t snow. What can I say? I’m weak. My kids have had more viruses this year than I can count. I’m beginning to believe the school bus has turned into a giant Petri dish.
            James’ T-ball game was cancelled tonight because of the rain. Do you know what my children are doing instead of playing outside in the fresh air? They are watching Veggie-Tales. Sad. Pathetic really. If you don’t show up soon, Summer is going to steam roller right over you and you’ll miss your opportunity to shine.
            Do come back soon Spring. I promise to take long walks and runs in your sunshine. We’ll take the training wheels off the boys’ bikes and go for a ride. I’ll even weed the garden!
            Missing you dreadfully,

                        Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment