Friday, July 29, 2011

TRDC: The Gift

 Today’s post is based on a prompt from The Red Dress Club. Our assignment was to revise an old piece. I found this flash fiction story I wrote for an on-line writing class I took in the spring of 2010. The class inspired me to start writing again and eventually to start this blog. It was great to look back and realize how much I’ve grown as a writer and have the chance to really improve one of my first stories. The original prompt for this story was to begin with the sentence, “Pat knew for a long time that a clairvoyant gift was a mixed blessing.” My favorite part of rewriting this story was getting rid of that opening sentence!

The Gift
Pat’s gift was limited. Her clairvoyance never reached beyond the ringing telephone. Her husband often remarked that they didn’t need caller ID. He would look at her when the phone rang. “Don’t bother,” she would say while preparing dinner, “it’s only a telemarketer.”  Pat’s mother had the gift too. One of her earliest memories was of her mother, elbow deep in soapy water when the phone rang saying, “Can you answer that honey? I think it’s my brother. He’s probably having a bad day.”
Today the sound of the phone made her chest feel cold. Pat didn’t know who was on the other end of the line. She only knew they were calling with bad news. Pat considered not answering it. Maybe if she didn’t pick up the phone the bad thing might never happen. Shaking off the nonsense of that thought, she picked up the phone with a trembling hand, “Hello?”
“Hello. Mrs. Jones?”
“Yes.”
“This is Lorraine from Dr. Fenton’s office.”
Pat’s annual physical had been a few days before. She sat down at her kitchen table and fumbled with her teacup. The amber liquid splashed onto the linen placemat. “Oh? Hello Lorraine. What can I do for you?”
“I’m just calling to let you know your blood tests all came back normal.”
“Normal?”
“Yes. Everything is fine. CBC came back normal. Cholesterol is normal—in fact it’s quite good. We won’t need see you again for another year unless anything come up.” Reported Lorraine.
“Really?” Pat tried to slow her breathing. “Well, thanks for calling. You have a good afternoon Lorraine”
“Thanks. You too Mrs. Jones.”
Pat hung up the phone. The cold feeling in her chest remained. She breathed deeply, willing herself to relax. “It was nothing silly,” she told herself. “You were worried over nothing.”
Lorraine tucked the report back into the folder labeled Pamela Jones and prepared to make the next call. These were the toughest. She had to be vague and give as little information as possible—just get the patient back in to see the doctor and have more tests done. She took a deep breath as the phone rang.
“Hello?”
 “Hello. Mrs. Jones? This is Lorraine from Dr. Fenton’s office.”

11 comments:

  1. My wife kinda sorta has this "gift". It comes in handy sometimes.

    I liked the emotional seesaw. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great twisting tale! I loved the sense of dread I felt as she answered the phone...then the bit of relief...then back to the dread. Very well done!

    Visiting from TRDC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that just gave me the chills.
    One, I don't know if this is a gift! And two, I know how common this is and it SCARES me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I love that twist, it was so worth having you go back and rewrite it. I loved this, it was so perfectly crafted and given to us. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. By the way, I gave you an award.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh... no. I'm always terrified of that kind of mistake post tests.
    And getting rid of the clunky opener is definitely for the good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love that you went back to such a pivotal piece!

    You really brought out my emotions here- the dread-releif-dread sandwich = perfection. This is such a relatable fear, yes? The mistaken results?

    Also? Good call getting rid of that opening line! Yours is way better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that is a tragic twist. But hopefully it would be something figured out when the "healthy" Mrs. Jones comes in and everything is okay...

    visiting from RDC

    ReplyDelete
  9. This gave me chills up my spine! Great twist! It's funny, but I have a friend whose name used to be Pamela Jones-until she got married. I think I'd better call her! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That first paragraph is such magic. You capture that relationship and those people with such frugal, perfect words.

    And that ending...ugh! My worst nightmare.

    Loved the showing details of the shaken hands, the spilled tea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, your new intro is great. So much better than what they made you start with.

    And then, what a ride in such a short piece! But I need to hear more. Any chance we might get to?

    ReplyDelete