Sunday, June 30, 2013

Eleven


          See this woman in the photo? That's me, just about eleven years ago this weekend. I was about 41.5 weeks pregnant and had no idea what I was getting into. I had gone for an ultrasound and a non-stress test that morning to see what was taking the occupant of my womb so long to come out and introduce himself. My doctor assured me that my tenant had no intention of coming out soon and suggested we offer him a little surgical assistance.
         “I think the baby could be over ten pounds,” he said. “I think he hasn't dropped because he's just too big. I'd like you to have a c-section on Tuesday.”
         “Can I go to my cousin's wedding today?” I asked.
         “Sure. I really don't think that baby has any plans to be born today.”
9.8 lbs with a head in the 90th percentile. Thank God for c-sections!
         So for the first (and only) time in my life I went to a wedding in flip flops and no hosiery. I hadn't planned on going. I thought I'd be in the hospital, or newly arrived home with my infant. After all, this kid was due to arrive on June 22nd and it was already July. We brought Owen into that world on “the day before America's birthday” as he likes to say.
Preschool graduation. Six years have passed in the blink of an eye.
         On Friday, that baby finished his last day of elementary school. It's such a cliché to say that time flies. But man, does it ever! This week Owen turns eleven. In September he'll start middle school. He's been a strong and beautiful boy since the beginning. Now he takes my breath away with his intelligence, integrity, and faith. He loves loud music, great books, and games of strategy. He believes in equality and social justice.

He's a devoted brother and a wonderful son. And he's only eleven.  Happy birthday Sweetie! I can't wait to see what else you bring to the world!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment