Saturday, July 30, 2011

Mothers of Boys


            When I was a kid I was all about dressing up and things that sparkle. I don’t remember any toys—not that I didn’t have any. I spent most of my time in my parents’ living room dancing to whatever records (yup those black vinyl things) happened to be around. I would end each dance with a big sweeping curtsy. The best gift I ever received was a garbage bag filled with hand-me-down dance recital costumes from my cousins. It was a dream come true.
            God has a fantastic sense of humor. I am now the mother of two boys—mud pie making, plastic sword wielding, rock collecting, bear hug giving boys. They are Cub Scouts who play soccer in the fall and baseball in the spring. They love slapstick humor and fart jokes. They look under rocks for bugs. In short, they are boys and that’s why I’m linking up with Boy Mom Blog Hop over at the M.O.B. Society’s website.

Mothers of Boys

            Welcome to my blog, my name is Victoria, sometimes known as Vickie, but usually called Mom or Owen and James’ Mom. I started this blog almost a year ago right after I turned thirty-nine (hence the name of the blog). During the evenings or when my kids are in school I work part time selling furniture. It isn’t the job of my dreams, but it allows me the flexibility I need to raise my kids, be involved with community theatre, and write. I blog about family, creativity, fitness, and food, but most often about my adventures with my two boys. They have a wonderful relationship and are very different from one another.
            Owen is nine-years-old and takes being the oldest very seriously. He is always concerned about the well being of his little brother. He is smart, conscientious, funny, and fiercely loyal. He is shy for the first 30 seconds you meet, then he’ll talk your ear off for hours. He loves Legos, Star Wars, Transformers, paper airplanes, and loud music. His favorite books at the moment are the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, anything in graphic novel format, and anything related to Star Wars.
            James is seven and is a skinny little “big man on campus”.  He becomes friends with just about everyone he meets. The worst moment of his life was the day we dropped Owen off at preschool for the first time and he realized he wasn’t going. All those kids and he couldn’t stay to play—it took me 20 minutes to get him into his car seat. He loves animals, puzzles, games, and anything the other kids are doing. James has a lot in common with Curious George.
            The final cast member in the comedy of my life is my husband Dan. We’ve been married for fifteen years. He’s smart, funny, patient, honest, a great dad, handsome, and talented. It still amazes me that this wonderful relationship started at a college keg party. So in addition to believing that God has a sense of humor, I also believe in miracles.
            Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I can’t wait to start reading and meeting more of the ladies linking up with the M.O.B.!

7 comments:

  1. What a great post Victoria! Although I've been a follower of yours for a bit I learned so much more about you...Thanks!
    I've been away from blogging for a bit and it really feels great visiting again. I actually stopped in by way of TRDC linkup.
    Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your intro! I can't wait to read more of your blog. Come visit us at www.youngmightymenofgod.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post. What handsome young men you have. I was also a girly girl, until I had my boys, they have taught me how to get my hands dirty, and not mind

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful family you have! My guy loves to explore the backyard and dig in the dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here visiting from the M.O.B. blog hop. I found your description of your boys hilarious and absolutely identical to some of my own words. One sister graced my life. Being mom to these warriors is a wild and smelly ride. Good to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm visiting from the MOB Society. It is nice to meet your family. I loved reading your description of your boys. Many blessings
    Meaghan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to "meet" you! I just left a comment on your TRDC post, and didn't realize it was fiction! Oops! Anyways, I loved that piece...off to explore more, and I'm REALLY glad you aren't a widow.

    ReplyDelete