Saturday, April 20, 2013

It's Been a Long Week

 
                   The first thing I do almost every day (after hitting the snooze button three or four times) is write in my journal. It's there on my bedside table. I write before I get my coffee, before I feed my kids, before I get dressed. But not this week. My last journal entry was written Monday morning. I have not written one single word about the events of the Marathon bombing. Not in my little green journal. Not on my blog. I have read dozens of pieces others have written. There are some gorgeous things out there—sad and angry and beautiful at the same time*.
                   I've thought about things to write of course. In my head I've composed many odes to the heroes of the day, laments to innocents lost, essays about how Boston has shaped me, and even angry words to those who would commit such evil. But I haven't written it down on paper. Maybe I haven't wanted to rip the band-aid off. Maybe I don't want to make this be about me. Most of my non-fiction is very personal. I wasn't there that day.  Everyone I know who was running or in the crowd walked away. Thank God. But for a city, Boston is a very small town. We all know someone who was affected. We all know someone who ran. We all know someone in law enforcement. It's hard to not take it personally.
                   My Facebook and Twitter feed are strangely silent this morning after the insanity of yesterday. Even the news sites are quieter.  I think everyone in the greater Boston area is sleeping off the adrenaline of the past few days. As for me, I'm writing again on this rainy Saturday. It's a rambling blog post for certain, but I wanted to let you know I'm here. I'm well.  And of course, I'm Boston Strong.

*If you have some time, read these posts. They couldn't be more different from one another, but they are perfect in their own way. From my cousin Beth writing about the Boston of her childhood:
From Jim Dowd on Boston stereotypes and why messing with Boston is a bad idea. It's funny because it hits so close to the mark.

                   And now for a little official business. My giveaway! So my friend Cam wrote this book called Buck's Landing and we're giving away a copy. I tossed all the entries into my little Red Sox hat and pulled out Jessica's name. Congratulations Jessica! I'll get in contact with you about receiving your book.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Jessica. It's a good book.

    Each morning after the bombing I woke up, checked the news, and immediately got in touch with you and my other friends in Boston area.

    I make fun the red Sox and the accent but you are in a great area of the country full of history and tough people.

    I'm so happy the manhunt is over. Hang in there my Boston friend...

    ReplyDelete