Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Thrifty, Tasty Tuesday... on a Wednesday?


         I know, I know, it isn't Tuesday! Sadly, I couldn't get near my computer yesterday because a certain young man was finishing up a book report. Apologies for the delay! Last time on Thrifty, Tasty, Tuesday, I talked about grilling and freezing chicken to have on-hand for quick dinners. Here's a soup I pulled together using pre-cooked chicken and things I had in my pantry. It was easy to prepare because almost everything comes from a can. Now, I'm not a fan of canned vegetables as a rule. Fresh or frozen is usually the way I prefer to go. However there are some exceptions to the rule and they're all in this recipe.

Tex-Mex Chicken Soup

8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 T. cider vinegar
½ cup brown rice
1-1 ½ cups of cooked chicken
1 can corn
1 can tomatoes with jalapenos
1 can Kuner's Chili beans
1 can black beans
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon chipotle powder
salt & pepper to taste

Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan.

Add brown rice and simmer for 45 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients and cook for an additional 15-30 minutes.

Serve with tortilla chips and shredded cheese. 


      If you're looking for more quick and thrifty meal ideas, check out my new recipes page.

No comments:

Post a Comment