Monday, May 9, 2011

RemembeRED: Sand




Here is a little piece of memoir written for The Red Dress Club’s RemembeRED meme. This week’s prompt was to write about sand. That’s it. That’s the whole prompt. This is what I came up with…

Dear Owen,

This morning, when I sat down at my computer, I accidentally open up IPhoto. I ended up spending almost an hour flipping through the thousands of pictures we’ve taken since you were born. I was supposed to be paying bills and renewing my library books. Instead I watched you go from being a huge, healthy perfect baby to a quick and inquisitive toddler to the thoughtful and articulate elementary school student you are today. It’s hard to remember when you were this guy:

            When this picture was taken, I was seven months pregnant with your little brother. Our house was being renovated to make room for him. We expanded the second floor to create two new bedrooms. Part of the bedroom you now use was once my walk-in closet. Your bunk bed sits in the exact location where I kept an array of suits and silk blouses. I gave up that closet and those fancy clothes when you came along—it was one of the best choices I ever made.
            We couldn’t live in our house while the work was being done so we stayed in little red cottage that my grandparents had built many years ago. There wasn’t a lot of room to play inside the cottage, but it was very close to the beach. We were there for most of March and April, which isn’t ideal beach weather in New England. So we had the beach to ourselves most days. You didn’t mind the cold. To you, that beach was a giant sandbox. All you needed was a pail, shovel and a plastic truck or two and you would stay busy for hours. When your lips turned blue I would bribe you with a cup of hot cocoa to entice you to go back to the cottage.
            You didn’t have a lot to say back then (times have really changed) but you asked a lot of questions. Or rather you asked the same question many times. “What zat do?” You would ask at the hardware store. “What zat do?” you would ask at the car repair shop. Once a week, we would visit our house so I could see how the work was going and drop off a check. “What zat do?” you would ask about the reciprocating saw. “What zat do?” you would ask about a nail gun. Keeping you out of harm’s way amid all those fascinating tools was no easy task for your very pregnant mother.
            It’s not only strange to think of you back then because you are so much more grown up. It’s also strange to think of you as an only child. Maybe it’s just a bad case of mommy brain, but I can hardly remember a time when you weren’t a brother. I never really thought about how you and James would get along before he came into our lives. I never weighed the pros and cons of having more than one child. It just seemed natural that after we had one child, we would have another. I never could have imagined how close you would become.

I hope you realize what a blessing you have in each other. Every night I pray that you always have that. I am so proud of how you’re willing share your allowance with each other. I love seeing your huge goodnight hugs. And I’m always touched at your concern when the other one is sick or hurt. You compliment each other so well. One of you is extroverted and one introverted. One of you is emotional and the other logical. One of you jumps into life with both feet and the other considers his path carefully. One of you likes to build sandcastles and the other likes to knock them down.

            Love, Mom



I tried desperately to NOT write about the beach. The beach just seemed so obvious. I even came up with this great memory about the time I narrowly avoided stepping on a rattlesnake while hiking with my family in the desert. But then I realized that it wasn’t desert so much as plains and therefore grassy rather than sandy J. I’ll have to jot that one down for another time.

16 comments:

  1. Watching your only become an amazing brother? There's really nothing else like it. How lovely to have the opportunity to revisit that little red cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing and touching. There really is nothing more fascinating and beautiful to watch than siblings who, at such a young age, show such love and loyalty to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. ok, so this is the 3rd blog to make me tear up a bit. I have 2 boys, 1 is 3 years old and the other is 21 old. They are just now starting to bond and play together. I see a glimpse into the future now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post and a great letter to share with Owen in a few years. I love the photos included!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well thanks a lot for tearing me up this morning! I have so many of the same feelings about my two sons. They are not as old as your two but already I can't remember having only one. And my greatest hope is that they will be good to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops - trying again. Blogger gave me an error, so if this double posts, I apologize!

    Awesome post! I loved the memories of growing and changing identities. I also never considered how my boys would get along. Best friends and worst enemies, depending on the moment. Now that my oldest is at college, his brother misses him (at least until he gets home and they get on each other's nerves again!). It all changes so fast...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so know this feeling.
    I don't look at the pictures I have of my daughter often because it makes me sad. I so wanted to freeze time for so long.
    I am getting better with accepting that she's going to grow and I love her stages but looking back makes me realize how big she's getting.
    This is the sweetest letter to your son. His relationship with his brother is very special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet.

    I can spend hours getting lost looking at old pictures of my daughter when she was little.

    (I do want to hear that rattlesnake story sometime)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a sweet, heart-warming letter.

    I know exactly what you mean about getting sucked into the memories of pictures. Once I start looking- there's nothing stopping me!

    I also really appreciated the way that you moved from talking to Owen to him with his brother. That's exactly how it goes, isn't it? They pair up in our hearts!

    This one's a keeper that y'all will cherish. That I know for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so lovely! There is nothing like watching the sibling relationship develop. You captured it beautifully and this is a piece to treasure, one that Owen will appreciate when he's even older (unfortunately, they do keep growing, don't they!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so tender. I love the bribing with hot cocoa and the yin and yang of the sand castles. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading your description of your son at the beach? That is exactly how my son would be.

    I love this letter. I don't think my kids can picture their lives without each other. They might fight like no one's business, but watching that bond form is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful.

    I like this part:

    It’s also strange to think of you as an only child. Maybe it’s just a bad case of mommy brain, but I can hardly remember a time when you weren’t a brother.

    I love how you used the sand prompt to lead you to this so specific time in your life and what it meant, and how that has led to your life now. The excitement of being pregnant and readying your family and your home- and now here you are years later, living that thing you were getting ready for.

    Also, as a mom of two boys, I can always relate and love reading your stuff so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very sweet and sentimental. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Lord, woman. I'm sitting here, at work, crying over this.

    This post is a beautiful gift to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thats so beautiful! watching our kids develop their sibling relationship is just amazing isnt it! when tilly was diognosed with smith magenis syndrome at 2 and half, i mourned the loss of the relationship she would have with her sister who was then 1 years old! i thought it had been wiped away in that 1 doctors phonecall and in cired an ocean about it! i was so wrong, they are as close as any sisters could be and i love it, its heaven on earth for me to watch, so i loved this post of yours and felt every word. so glad i stopped by from the rdc linkup x

    ReplyDelete