Friday, September 30, 2011

Mama Kat's Writing Workshop: WWVD?

Mama’s Losin’ It
            Today I’m linking up with Mama Kat’s Writer's Workshop. The prompt was a true piece of fantasy writing: “Make a list of ten things you would do if you didn’t have to work.” My first thought was—only ten? I could go on for days. So I decided to put one restriction on the list for myself. I’ve written a post of ten things I would do if I didn’t have to work, but our household income remained the same.

1.) I’d play hooky with my kids now and then. These days, time to myself is at a premium. All day, everyday I am with kids or customers. The only time I am alone is when I’m in the car waiting for the kids. I have become very stingy with my time alone. But if I wasn’t working, I would have more time and be more willing to ditch school for a day to go to the beach or take a walk in the woods with my little guys.

2.) I’m also play hooky with my husband. The only thing I have less of than time by myself, is time alone with Dan.

3.) I’d dust off the piano, get it tuned and learn to play it.

4.) I would take more time to cook. I’d try new recipes that take more than four ingredients. I’d take a break from the old standbys I make five nights a week.

5.) I would write and write and write.

6.) I’d comment on more blogs and respond to the comments on my own blog.

7.) I would train for a mini triathlon.

8.) I would spend school vacations as a tourist in my own backyard. I’d take my kids to Plimouth Plantation, The Museum of Science, and The House of Seven Gables. We’d visit Lexington Green and walk the Freedom Trail. In the summer we’d test the water at every beach on Cape Cod and Cape Ann.

9.) I’d be involved in more than one play a year and I’d go to see all of the plays my friends are in.

10.) I’d finish all the household projects I’ve begun like the porch curtains that still need to be hemmed and hung and the door that’s been primed but never painted. I’d clean out the garage and the basement. Oh, what a glamorous time I would have!   

            So that’s my list. What would you do if you didn’t have to work?

4 comments:

  1. Oooo thats a lot! I live in Salem and definitely suggest the house of seven gables :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be in a play too! I know you limited yourself to your same income. I went the other way and added "and had tons of money." Talk about fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now, my most exciting answer is: Sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your number 6 is like one of my 10 things. sounds like a wonderful list.

    ReplyDelete