Friday, October 14, 2011

Red Writing Hood: Permanent



            This week’s Red Writing Hood prompt from Write on Edge was to write a piece in which a tattoo figures prominently. Fiction or creative non-fiction. There is a lot to think about: why someone would get one, what they chose, when they got it, what message does the tattoo(s) send?  This week I’ve written about my character Michaela. You can read more of her story by clicking on the page above that says The Story of Michaela.

Permanent

            Provincetown is a different world after the tourists are gone. The bitter October wind tore at the grainy faxed image in my hand. Maybe it was crazy to come so far to get a tattoo. Moon Dance had come highly recommended and I clicked with Morgan, the tattoo artist, when we talked on the phone.
I had a vague image in my head of a tree with a Celtic theme and I wanted to incorporate the names of the kids into the design. Morgan faxed me a couple of sketches that were close to what I wanted. Then yesterday she sent me a drawing of a tree growing out a rock. All of our initials were subtly woven into the leaves and branches. I told her I’d be there in the morning.
Peter and I talked about marking our tenth anniversary with tattoos. I spent our ninth anniversary hiding under the covers of my bed letting someone else take care of my children. It’s been almost two years since he died and I need to stop mourning. I want to remember the look of adoration on his face when I walked down the aisle and the way his hands trembled when I told him I was pregnant. Not every woman gets to have that and I’m learning to be grateful that I did.
I took a deep breath and pushed open the door of the studio. Morgan was a tiny woman with a young face, graying hair, and perfect posture. We shook hands and she offered me tea.
“The design is perfect,” I told her. “It’s exactly what I wanted to express.”
“That’s great. Are you ready to get started?”
“No. Not exactly.”
“Having second thoughts? That’s okay. I don’t want to do the work if you aren’t sure.”
“When Peter died, I learned a lot about permanency. Everyone says tattooing is permanent. But it isn’t really. This design is a family crest that I’d like to pass on to my kids. I can’t do that if it’s a tattoo. I want this artwork carved into granite or wood. Something more permanent that I am.”
The tree in my yard that grows out of a rock.

I am one of the last remaining inkless women under 50 in North America. Since I have never gone under the needle, I asked on my personal Facebook page for people to share their experiences. It lead to a very spirited conversation to say the least. It was apparent that people hold very strong and personal reasons for tattooing and as well as not tattooing. The discussion made me realize that I was most qualified to write a story about not getting a tattoo.


This Sugarland song has been running through my head since I first read the prompt. It has the lyrics, "He's yellin' about my tattoos. We all live with the scars we choose. They might hurt like hell, but they all make us stronger." I don't want a tattoo, but I would like to be Jennifer Nettles when I grow up.


11 comments:

  1. except for the Sugarland, you did excellent research.

    As Carrie said on my blog earlier, getting a tattoo of Tweety on your tush because you got a drunk one night means nothing. The time and care most people take with their body art makes for amazing storytelling.

    Good post for tattoo less person. I liek Michaela a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your take and so beautifully written! And, I love the tattoo idea. Maybe if I ever did get one I can steal your idea? After all, my daughter is a Rowan (tree) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see the original design...it sounds beautiful and really close to the one I've been thinking of getting on my wrist.

    I do love the tree growing out the rock though. Very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you had the artist came up with such a meaningful work of art. Because that's what true tattoo artists do. It's art. My tattoos are custom-designed by an artist and I absolutely adore them because they are meaningful to ME.

    It's definitely a personal decision and I'm glad I waited a long time to get mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my heart twisted for her. Very well thought out. I am one of the tattooed thousands. But I don't really regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that she consulted with a tattoo artist and found something perfect, then didn't end up with a tattoo at all.

    And cool tree growing from that rock. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Love your blog and.that spirited conversation on FB ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your take on this. I got one when I was too young to think about the permanency but luckily it is small and I still like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE that you researched and changed your character's course based on what you learned. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That tree is amazing, and I love the setting--Provincetown is best after the summer season, if you ask me.

    I like that Michaela has other plans for her art, even if she's not going to get it inked onto her skin... Great spin on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete