Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday Fiction: Circling the Drain

            The swirling water going down the drain was purple, not brown as I expected. “Please God,” I whispered, “Don’t let me go from Marilyn Monroe to Violet Beauregard.”  When I looked in the mirror I saw that my hair was now a dull brown. It might be my natural color. I’ve been “check me out” platinum for so long I can’t remember. I don’t want to be checked out for a while. I just want to blend in.
Maybe Joey won’t follow me. Maybe he’ll just move one of his little chippies in for a while. She can play house with him and I’ll be safe. Maybe he’ll be relieved that I didn’t clean out the bank accounts and leave me alone.
            I put up with his shit for six years and Friday was it—the chippy that broke wifey’s back. I demanded to know where he was and what he was doing. I wasn’t going to let him buy me off with another trinket. “Who the hell do you think you are?” he asked before he hit me. Joey didn’t stick around long enough to hear the answer. He just left me on the floor. The sting on my face smelled like whiskey and cheap women.
            I put up with him sleeping around and coming home late. I got used to the nice house and the fancy car and the housekeeper. I liked getting my nails done and working out and shopping. But when I stood up and looked at my face—the back of his hand imprinted on my cheek I realized I was no better than one of his whores. I looked the other way while he screwed strippers so I could drive a nice car and live in a big house.
            I traded in all of his shiny tokens of apology for a handful of cash. I left the Lexus at the pawn shop and took a cab to the train station. I paid for a ticket to Chicago with my credit card. Then I walked four miles to the bus station and paid cash for a Grey Hound headed South. If he tries to follow me it won’t be easy.

Write On Edge: Red-Writing-Hood
  
This week we’d like you to write a piece about hair. It can be about you or one of your characters where hair figures prominently. Don’t just describe it. Use it as a vehicle to tell us something about your character, a situation, you and your life.

14 comments:

  1. Did her hair have anything to do with how he treated her or how she saw herself? I'm a bit curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The very first time I colored my hair, I freaked because the foam was purple, and rinsed it right out.

    I think it's interesting that we use our hair to express so much of who we are and what we want. I can see Joey's wifey dying her hair platinum to compete with his little side pieces, and then going to something more neutral when she's looking to run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want her to blend in and never be found. I admire your character's courage-this is a powerful piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguing. I hope he doesn't find her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm kind of hoping that he tries to find her because then you have the makings of a good story complete with the villain and heroin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well written, I like how you used the hair prompt although maybe a little understated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First question:

    Is the hair change a declaration of freedom aka a new start move or is it to hide from him if he follows?

    I would love to see this expanded. Rock bottom and rising from it is fascinating a la Helene troy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope she was platinum when she met him, it make getting away that much easier

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, good for her for getting out! Also, that purple really is anxiety-inducing the first time you see it, your description of it instantly made the story more real for me. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, I hope he doesn't find her. My guess is he won't even try, the lazy bum.

    Well done! I'm annoyed with him, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how her hair was a reflection of who she was with him, and changing it made her feel more like her true self.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go her- I'm glad she's out of there!

    This line? "The sting on my face smelled like whiskey and cheap women." Is gold.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow....good for her for leaving. You've got a great writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The chippies. Love it. Clever girl. I hope she makes it far, far away!

    ReplyDelete