Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Goodbye Old Friend


I had to read the Facebook message from my college friend at least ten times before I understood what it said. It was only ten words long, but I couldn’t comprehend it and I didn’t want to believe it. But I knew the sender would never make a joke like this.

            Sad to hear that Terry W passed away from a heart attack on 12/1.

            Passed away. At forty two. I’ve lost an old friend and my heart’s a little sore tonight. I can’t picture Terry without a smile on his face. He never said anything negative about anything or anyone. We met in college when he wrote a play called “Vows” that became a student production.  I wanted to be a part of the production team, but there was already a Director, an Assistant Director, a Producer, and an Assistant Producer. Terry and Jim, the Director, said I could be “The Literary Consultant”. Mostly it meant I got to hang out with the cast and crew and get my name on the poster—and that a big deal for me.
            Terry and I got to know each other. We talked about writing a lot. That’s all I did in those days with my writing—talk about it. But he would always ask me if I had been writing and encourage me to actually put pen to paper. Even after he graduated and was in the Army he would send letters asking if I had been writing. I always had an excuse. It’s hard to get fired up about writing for pleasure when you’re an English major and there is so much required writing.
            When I was a sophomore, both of my parents found out they might not have jobs the following September. I was concerned about where my tuition check would come from and considered joining ROTC. Terry was in ROTC and did our country a great service by talking me out of joining. I think he knew I would make Private Benjamin look like General Macarthur. He said to me, “You know there’s no drama club in the Army, Right?”
            Like a lot of friends we fell out of touch after a while. But thanks to Facebook we reconnected a couple of years ago. I was glad to hear he had a job he loved and a wife he adored. He never talked about his wife without calling her “my beautiful wife Marie”.

            I could wish nothing more for my friend to have a life filled with friends, career success, and a wonderful marriage. Except more time.





8 comments:

  1. Terry sounds like he was great friend, and I couldn't help but LOL with the reference to Private Benjamin.
    I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss and for the loss of others that knew him. I love that Facebook can reconnect us with people. What a blessing that you at least got to keep up via Facebook for a couple years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Vic. Really, really lovely. He did indeed always have a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss.. it brought tears to my eyes as I read it. It's wonderful that you had a close friendship with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear of this, and sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm so sorry. It's nice to hear your warm memories of a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice tribute to your friend! I know he will be missed.

    ReplyDelete