Monday, December 5, 2011

Not Yet


            Something disturbing has been happening in my home lately. I am powerless to stop it. My children are getting older. I know you’re going to tell me that it’s inevitable. But why? I’m not getting any older, why do they have to? I know, I know, denial isn’t a river in Egypt.
            My older son has a cell phone. He wants to walk home from the bus stop by himself. He watches “ICarly” because he has a crush on the blond girl. He calls me Mom and not Mommy. He doesn’t believe in Santa Claus, but works very hard to keep that from his little brother. When I want to kiss him on the top of his head, I have to stand on my toes. How did this happen? It was only ten minutes ago that I snapped this picture to use as a Christmas card:

2005. Really? It seems like ten minutes ago.

            A few weeks back, Owen and I were talking after school. He was throwing his jacket and backpack on the floor neatly hanging up his jacket and backpack and he said to me, “You know what’s a funny word Mom? Puberty.”
            “Did you talk about puberty in health class,” I asked him as I resisted the urge to put my hands over my ears and yell, “La la la I can’t hear you!”
            “No. I just think it’s fun to say… puberty, puberty, puberty, puberty,” he sang to a catchy little tune.
            “Do you know what that word means?” I asked.
            “No.”
            “It’s when your body starts to change from being a kid into an adult.”
            “Oh,” he said, clearly understanding the gravity of such a transition. “I guess I shouldn’t sing that song in school any more.”
           
I remember having a conversation with my mother when I was a little girl. I told her that I liked kittens, but I didn’t like full grown cats. She said something along the lines of, “You wouldn’t want to stay a baby forever, would you?” She was right of course. And of course I don’t want my kids to stay kids forever. I want them to have jobs they love and go to work on time. I want them to vote and do the right thing when nobody is looking. I want them to grow up and have families of their own.

            But not yet.

My "babies" 2011


21 comments:

  1. I know, you. Oh my do I *ever* know.

    {If you figure out how to stop it, you let me know, mmkay?}

    Beautifully told love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they really are getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had a conversation about doing the right thing when no one is looking ...
    Look at them, still hugging after all these years ... and no, you have not aged at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally snorted over the "probably shouldn't be singing that in school then" comment.

    Perfect metaphor for the man/child all four of our boys are becoming.

    Damn it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have to agree, puberty is definitely a funny word...until you know the meaning!
    They'll always be your babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow, they sure are getting big and so handsome. Even at "Almost 4" I see mine using longer sentences, understanding more things, not using baby talk at all..and I miss it. I do.

    As another mom of "boys" I so get this glimpse into my own future..thanks for sharing it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is incredible how quick time goes. I think I blinked and a couple years passed :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh God, I'm all chocked up here. They really does growing up way so fast, aren't they? Your boys are handsome and thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this little snippet you shared - they do grow so fast, don't they? Sigh.

    Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me cry... I don't really love the whole growing up thing at all. Not even a little. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear! this left me tear eyed. Don't you just wish we could hit "pause" even for just a while?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh goodness, I know how you feel! My oldest is all into talking about the changes her body is starting to go through, and I'M NOT READY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, I get it, and my baby's only 22 months! So old, so quick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think of what they will be like when mine are grown too but yeah, SO not ready yet! Love your sweet photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And before you know it....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't even think about this yet! And thanks for commenting on my guest post at Scary Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why did I forget to comment this?

    Our youngest still acts like our baby. But the 8 yr old wants to be like the 15 yr old, and the 15 yr old is making me insane with wanting to be an adult.

    It's easier for mom's to hold on to their boys, I think. I still liked my mom at that age.

    Trust me, he'll keep pulling away. You hold on tight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why do they have to grow up so fast? My baby is 2 and I swear she was born a month ago. You have very handsome young men and I love the hug. My boys prefer to punch each other.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, yes. I miss my who my kids were at many stages in their lives - the teenage years? Not so much! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know JUST how you feel. My boys are only 4 and 2 but they are growing up way too fast. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It goes so very fast.

    I fully anticipate the time when I'll be on tippy toes to kiss the tops of my kids heads - and then, I guess I'll need a chair to stand on.

    Your boys are handsome little loves.

    ReplyDelete