Monday, February 6, 2012

The Man


            This week I’m linking up with the One Hundred Word Song meme with Lance over at My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog. Each week we’re asked to write a story inspired by a particular song. This week’s song was “Idioteque” by Radiohead. The story must be 100 words long—no more, no less. Take some time to see what some great writers have done with this by clicking here.


The Man

            He was barely coherent when I dragged him into the shelter. No one noticed the old man living in the park for days. He was just another set of eyes to avoid. I gave him water, which he drank too fast.
            “Careful buddy. You’re gonna burst,” I said.
            “I’ve seen too much,” he sputtered.
            “I know. I’m gonna help you.”
            “ I’ve seen too much.”
            “Me too buddy. It’s gonna be alright.
            A mobile phone rang from a pocket somewhere. He gripped my hand and stared at me. His eyes were lucid when he said, “Take the money and run!”

3 comments:

  1. so much good dialogue in 100 words! You can tell your are a theatre rocker. Good one, Vic. Thank you for playing again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha very nice!! 100 words for a story is really tough - way tougher than 500.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great line > He was just another set of eyes to avoid.

    Just tonight I did that very thing as I walked into a store passed a man begging for money. As I was inside the store,I realized I had nothing I really needed to buy, so I took out some change and went back out and gave it to him. It's easy to become numb in the big city.
    eden

    ReplyDelete