Monday, December 17, 2012

Monday


                    Since my children got off the bus Friday afternoon I have tried to shield my boys  from the news of Newtown. Like every parent I know, I was particularly anxious to see their faces that day. When they got home we drank hot cocoa with peppermint marshmallows and sang silly songs while we worked together in the kitchen. Saturday night we watched Mr. Popper's Penguins together. I thought I might use the opportunity to wrap some Christmas presents while the movie played, but I found myself unwilling to disentangle myself from their snuggles.
                   Now it's Monday and I suspect there will be discussion at school. We've already gotten a “robo-call” from the Superintendent about security measures. As much as I'd like to continue to shield this news from them, I'd like to be in control of how they get it.
                   I suspect that somehow Owen has gotten wind of the story. He asked me why they don't have police in school. I assured him that our city has police officers at the high school and I often see police cars patrolling near his school. I also told him they always have a detail officer assigned to events such as his band and chorus concerts. One of the benefits of living in an urban area is the presence of law enforcement.
                   It's a little after seven and the boys are still in bed. That's unusual for them. Normally, they're up at the crack of dawn to try to get some play time in before school. But it's dark and rainy and I'm sure their beds seem even more cozy than usual. Soon I'll have to wake them or we'll be late. I wonder what we'll talk about at breakfast this morning. Will you be talking to your children about Newtown this morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment