Friday, March 11, 2011

Red Writing Hood: Mankie




This week's assignment from Red Writing Hood is to write about something ugly and find the beauty in it. This piece is exactly 600 words--which is the limit. Constructive criticism is welcome.




Mankie

I pull the Batman sheets off my son’s bed, careful not to include any of his stuffed animals in the laundry. The top bunk is cluttered with creatures from a traditional brown teddy bear to a fantastic green dragon with shiny wings. Amid the plush menagerie is a baby’s blanket. Years ago it was powder blue with soft shiny trim. Now it’s browning with age and gets a little crusty between washings. The satin binding has been repaired many times. My uneven zig zag stitches create small lumps here and there.
When Owen was small he didn’t want a pacifier and he didn’t suck his thumb. He never even took a bottle. For the first few months of his life I was the pacifier and I was getting very tired of that role. Upon hearing my complaints one day, my mother said, “He needs a blanket with a satin edge.”
I couldn’t imagine why that would help. Why would one particular kind of blanket work when every brand of pacifiers on the market had failed? But I was willing to try anything at that point. “We have one,” I told her. “There was a blue blanket like that in the gift basket they gave me at the office.”
She hunted around the nursery and found the blanket. She presented it to Owen as if it was the Holy Grail. He immediately took it in his arms with a smile and rubbed his face against the satin binding. From that moment, the only time he was without that blanket was when I pried it from his hands so I could wash it. My mother was right. He needed a blanket with a satin edge. Apparently, when you’ve raised four children and had ten grandchildren and sixteen nieces and nephews, you learn a thing or two about babies.
Owen squeezed and chewed the blanket as he fell asleep for years. He wore it as a superhero cape. It cured carsickness, nightmares, hurt feelings and insomnia. Owen didn’t use the pronoun “it” when talking about Mankie, he would say “he” or “she”. I forgot to pack Mankie on one vacation—Owen barely slept for five days.
A children’s librarian once heard me call Owen by name and suggested we check out the book Owen by Kevin Henkes. In the book, Owen is a mouse who has a favorite yellow blanket named Fuzzy who goes everywhere with him. A nosy neighbor named Mrs. Tweezers convince Owen’s parents that he’s too old for Fuzzy. They try dipping the edge of Fuzzy in vinegar and being stern but Owen does not want to let go of Fuzzy.
As I read the book to my Owen I could feel him getting tense and holding Mankie closer and closer. At the end of the book, Owen and his mother come up with the idea of cutting up Fuzzy and making handkerchiefs out of it. I should have read Owen The Shining by Stephen King. He would have been less disturbed.
We created some rules about Mankie as Owen got a little older, but I never tried to make him give it up. Mankie lives in the bedroom and can only come out to be washed or taken on long car rides. Mankie is threadbare and stained and smelly, but sometimes it comforts my growing boy. I was given many baby blankets when I was pregnant—quilts and hand knitted blankets and countless flannel swaddling blankets. And there was a beautiful blue blanket with satin trim. I didn’t know a blanket could do more than keep a child warm.

20 comments:

  1. Love it! My trdc post today was about my baby's blankie too. She calls it "Boo". So much love, companionship, comfort, peace all wrapped up in a tiny piece of stained, smelly fraying cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I loved that there was a children's book and how he reacted to being read it! But secondly, I really love that this cherished object so close to your son's heart was something so standard that initially it hadn't grabbed you attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was precious:)
    When I was a little kid-I had a special blankie too. It got so tattered and worn that my mom had to cut it smaller bit by bit-but I always had to have whatever was left of it near me.

    So when my own daughter was little-I bought her a vintage pink plaid blanket with satin edging. In the description-the seller described the blanket as small-but when it came it was one of those double length camp blankets-close to 9 or ten feet long! I was going to return it-but my daughter immediately adopted it-and at 15-she still has it on her bed.
    Sorry to prattle on so-but this just brought back so many of my own warm and fuzzy memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wished I had started the blanket instead of the soother. My son is three and I'm trying to figure out how to send the soother to it's death. It's made difficult because the baby still uses one. I loved this story. I've joined your site to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny thing, my mother just brought up a few stories about the things I used to insist on carrying around. I think that this weekend the kids will hear about dad's "mankie."

    BTW, this was a great line, "Amid the plush menagerie"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I giggled at the announcement that he needs a blanket with a satin edge.

    Snorted when it turned out he did.

    And then laughed out loud at the reference to The Shining.

    I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I loved this! I remember as a child, my brothers and I shared a yellow waffle weave blanket with satin edged binding...what is it about that satin edging that instantly calms us? Great post and wonderful story...I loved every word!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so precious! Stopping by from Red Writing Hood! : )
    -http://leahainla.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-feet.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This touched me on about ninety levels. I have a little boy I love (not my son) named Owen, to whom I used to read the Kevin Henkes book. He handed down a blue blanket with satin edges--which was not his lovey--to my son. My son calls it Beek, and it is his best friend, his favorite prop, his lovey, his comfort.

    Great post. Just great.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally gaffawed over the Stephen King reference. Poor Owen! Crazy librarian lady.

    Both my boys have blue blankets with satin ribbon. Your mother is one smart cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. <<--- Had a bit of satin trim pinned inside her wedding dress. It's true.

    This is so sweet, and as we start to set boundaries for Max and Banket, I'm glad to get some insight from someone ahead of us on the path!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this post! My children are older now so I'm feeling very nostalgic...even about other people's children! :) I was teary-eyed, so caught up your storytelling....was glad you threw in the Stephen King reference to make me laugh.
    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog....it led me here to you. :) So happy your niece is doing wonderfully! Stop by and see me again if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this - you are a wonderful writer. My baby's all have lovies. So important. So beautiful. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute story. I enjoyed picturing your son and the memories that he must have had with the blanket. It is just wonderful how there are so many memories with some of the most unique things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. TOTALLY related to this post, tho I'm laughing at your poor boy's reaction to that book!

    None of my kids would take a paci or sucked their thumbs. While I am thankful for this, I had to figure out something, so each of them has a little blanket with an animal head on top; Sawyer's is a bear and he gave his up at 3. Sage's is a dog and, at 5 1/2, she still sleeps with it and will get it when she's tired. X also has a dog and he's my only one who chews and sucks on it. It used to STINK and we'd have to time the washes around his nap schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Should have read "The Shining" - ha!

    My sister had a blanket she was obsessed with - the thing was literally falling to pieces and shredding, but the girl would not let it go. I wonder where the need comes from...?

    This is such a sweet piece!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the name "Mankie" - so sweet. I can just picture him rubbing that soft satin. My children would be lost without their "lovies" so I certainly hope we never lose them!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore that book and I love satin edged mankies (How cute is that?! This was a very warm and cozy post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your niece, now a fabulous 21 year old world traveller, was a blankie girl and probably the reason Mum was so sure of what Owen needed. A few years ago (her senior year in high school) we had some big blow up and I grabbed the first coat in the closet to take a walk and cool off. It happened to be her coat.

    When I out my hand in the pocket I found a small square of her blanket that she had been carrying around with her while she took AP classes and applied to college. A great reminder to me that she was still my baby even though we were having a rough week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was great. I have had instances where I read a story with mine and it touched a nerve with her so I loved that part.

    ReplyDelete