Monday, August 29, 2011

Lordy, Lordy...

            I turned 39 for the second time today. I’m not going to lie, when I woke up I seriously considered hiding under the covers for the better part of the day. The air was cool after Mother Nature’s tantrum yesterday so I pulled an extra quilt over myself to go back to sleep. When my husband came in to kiss me goodbye, my elderly cat snuck into the room and curled up with me. My kids were up and watching TV downstairs. I suspect they had been warned to let Mommy sleep in on her birthday.
            But I could hear a lot of activity in the neighborhood. The morning after Hurricane Irene the neighborhood was alive with the sound of chainsaws from people clearing away downed trees and branches. We were very fortunate—no major damage, no power loss on my street and no flooding in the basement. I could hear transformers blowing throughout the day yesterday but we never had more than a few seconds without electricity.
            I realized that lying there was just making my back stiff—you have to worry about stuff like that when you get old. So I got up and went to my computer. There were a couple dozen messages wishing me a happy birthday on Facebook. It’s so strange and wonderful to get messages from people I haven’t seen since the days of Aqua Net and Duran Duran.
This was delivered to our table as the violinist played "Happy Birthday"
            Since my birthday fell on a Monday this year, I did the bulk of my celebrating on Saturday. My marvelous friend Kate Sterling took me into Boston to have high tea at the Raj Hotel (formerly The Ritz). We spent and elegant afternoon overlooking Newbury Street while sipping Champagne and tea and nibbling on tiny sandwiches and pastries. Afterwards, we headed back to my place, changed into jeans and flip-flops, grabbed my husband and headed out for Mexican food. Our good friend Claire had graciously agreed to baby-sit my little guys as we indulged in Carne Asada and margaritas. The evening was just as enjoyable as the afternoon in a completely different way.
            I had every intention of sitting down and writing a piece about turning forty. But I have nothing very enlightening to say. The world did not stop turning. I feel exactly like I did yesterday. I am thrilled we didn’t lose power during the hurricane.  I’m mentally kicking myself in the butt to get to the gym. The breakfast dishes still won’t wash themselves. My kids are still loud, energetic and adorable. My marriage is still pretty awesome. I’m still spending far too much time checking Facebook and not enough time actually writing. Do I feel smarter? Stronger? More capable? Yes. Not more so than yesterday, but a lot more so than I did when I was in my 20’s. In other words, 40 is a lot like 30… with a few more gray hairs.

7 comments:

  1. All your special meals sound wonderful! Happy 39th Birthday Again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a terrific tribute to the 2nd 39. Happy belated. Thanks for stopping by my blog and yes, 750 words a day is totally doable. Take it from a habitual procrastinator.

    Cheers,

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the uplifting post! I'm currently 29 for the 7th time and I've been dreading 39 the 2nd time, but it doesn't sound too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aging can be beautiful. Years have taught me confidence and courage that the younger me never had. So happy birthday, beautiful woman! You're getting better every year, and this post proves it. Lovely writing: you brought me right into your life for that happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 39 again...

    next week, the 10th, i turn 39 for the third time..

    My wife and I are celebrating today, the 3rd because my youngest girl, The Goose, turns 7 on the 12th...got that? tehre will be a quiz


    I'm better at 41 than I was at 40...that's all i care about...from what I read, you;re better at 39+ than you were at 39-

    keep up the good work....want some geritol?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the anticipation of the day is much worse than the event itself. I turned 50 this month and was dreading it but am now feeling more content and grounded then I have ever felt. Something to look forward to!

    Visiting from Write on Edge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birfdaze

    Did it last year. There are more gray hairs but you are wiser.

    ReplyDelete