Monday, November 21, 2011

RemembeRED: Early


It isn’t a place on a map;
it’s a place in time.

It is dark at five AM;
my family is still asleep

It’s too cold to get out of my bed,
but I do anyway.

There is coffee in my quiet place,
and room for my thoughts to wander.

The old cat keeps me company,
he nudges my hands.

Sometimes the words come hard and fast;
sometimes they are slow and labored.

But they are mine;
in my quiet place.



Write on Edge: RemembeREDThis week's RemembeRED prompt from Write on Edge was to write "Where is your quiet place? What does it look like? What happens there?" My quiet place isn't a place at all. It's the early morning hours I spend with my cat and my laptop. I've been writing so many words lately for NaNoWriMo that today's writing came out as a poem. At least I think that's what it is. 

15 comments:

  1. Before kids and working the evening shift, 5am was my favorite. I've always preferred sunrise to sunset.

    You've gone and made me nostalgic for the wee hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quiet of the morning too. Great description :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It *is* a poem, and it's lovely. And relatable. And quiet, indeed. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every quite place needs coffee. Love this beautiful and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is NaNo going?? And there is nothing more blissful than finding a quiet time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you wrote this as a poem. I always savor the times when no one else is awake, although in my house it tends to be in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This itself felt quiet. Like the silent house being tickled awake by keystrokes.
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love that moment before they all wake up and you have to really start you day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me want to wake up and write before my kids get up. They are ridiculous sleepers; I can leave to run, but when I start typing, they wake up :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you, for me the quiet place is not a location, but this type of solace.

    Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking...

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I were a morning person and not a bath person,this would be me as well. I love my coffee in the a.m. and wish I could have the first cup in peace like this. Love that you worked it into a poem I heart poetry!

    Debbie at Day in and Day Out

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I savour those rare early morning moment when I get up before my children. This was lovely poetic depiction of your place

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in awe of people who can get up so early. Even more in awe when those people can string words into coherent thoughts.

    ReplyDelete