Friday, November 11, 2011

Write on Edge: Dialogue from Lost and Found

Write On Edge: Red-Writing-Hood

I'm linking up with my friends at Write on Edge who challenged us this week to "Use surroundings, body language, visual cues and blocking, in addition to the spoken words, show us who they are and what their relationship is without coming out and telling us!" 
 So here is a little snippet from my current work in progress for NaNoWriMo. You can read more of the story by clicking here. I broke some NaNoWriMo "rules" by going back and editing this section. It is a conversation between my main character Michaela and her five year old daughter Paige. By the way, the child's name used to be Brianna. The more I've been writing, the more characters are telling me who they are and what they should be named. I am deeply grateful for the global replace function on my computer.

An Excerpt from Lost and Found

The kindergarteners have been trained to stand with their backs to the “waiting wall” until their adult takes them by the hand. They are a mosaic of super hero lunch boxes, princess back packs, and light up shoes. Paige anxiously scans the forest of grown ups. When her root beer colored eyes finally land on me she races forward.
“Mommy! Mommy!” she yells. I look at the teacher waiting for the reprimand than never comes. I’ve heard Mrs. Jones say “Backs to the wall! Wait for mum or dad to take your hand”  countless times. She goes easy on us. I appreciate the kindness but Paige has to learn to follow the rules sooner or later.
“I missed you too,” I tell Paige. “But you have to stay at the wall until I take your hand.”
“Okay Mommy. I made a wam!” she says.
“A what?”
“A wam! For Easter.”
“Oh! A lamb?”
“Yes. It has fuzzy cotton balls on it. Can I show you?”
“Sure baby. You can show me in the car. Can you buckle yourself?”
“Uh huh!”
She fumbles with the buckle. I remind myself to be patient and let her do it herself. As I get in to my own seat I noticed the other parents giving envelopes to the school’s Director. It’s the first Friday of the month and I’d completely forgotten that tuition is due.
“I’ll be right back honey,” I tell Paige. I walk over to the Director.
“Excuse me, Mrs. O’Connell. I’m so sorry. I forgot that today is tuition day. I’ll have it for you on Monday.”
“Oh, don’t worry Mrs. Russell. I know you have a lot on your mind.” she says.
“Thanks. Have a great weekend Mrs. O’Connell.”
            “You too Mrs. Russell.”
My face feels hot. She’s right of course. But every parent has a lot on her mind. We were never late with bills when Peter was alive. I’m angry with myself but I try to put it out of my head.
I don’t remember everything. But we could be doing worse. In the back seat, Paige is singing to her lamb and making it dance. She has shoes on her feet, clean clothes on her back and a smile on her face.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, what a sad situation. The mosaic of superheroes & princesses is a great image, though. Good luck with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The piece has a heart-wrenching appeal...
    I love the imagery you used to set the scene in the opening paragraph.
    Hope all your NaNoWriMo dreams come true!
    ~MISH~
    http://writer-in-transit.co.za/tete-a-tete/

    ReplyDelete
  3. "They are a mosaic of super hero lunch boxes, princess back packs, and light up shoes. " A lovely line.
    "...Paige has to learn to follow the rules sooner or later." I wonder if the mom follows the rules now that her husband is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm agreeing with everyone else: that line about superheros and princesses is the best :)

    I wonder if she will lose it on the people just trying to show her kindness. She seems to want life to be "normal"

    ReplyDelete
  5. good grief, you have no idea how much I related to this. It was like being in my living room with my kids.

    I like the details. It made images dance in front of my face as I read. Good stuff, Vic

    ReplyDelete
  6. You painted these scenes really well - I felt like I was there. And it's heartbreaking and packed with emotion. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The line about the superheroes and princesses is really a great one. And isn't it funny when the characters announce a name change?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a fan of bending the Nano rules to suit our stories- makes them more powerful.

    ReplyDelete