Sunday, July 8, 2012

100 Word Song: A Light Left On

 
            “Everything okay Bud?” I called, hearing little footsteps in the hall outside my bedroom door.
            “I brought you something,” Brian said. His face was shy and serious as he presented his Scooby Doo nightlight.
            “What’s that for?”
            “You keep leaving Daddy’s light on all night. I thought maybe you were afraid of the dark since Daddy went to heaven.”
            I didn’t even realize I was doing it, but Brian was right. Peter’s platinum wedding band looked like a holy relic resting in a pool of lamplight on his nightstand.
            “You keep that nightlight Sweetie. I’m not afraid of the dark.”


My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog

            For this week’s One Hundred Word Song, Lance presented us with the song “Leave Your Light” on by Tim Eriksen as a source of inspiration. It immediately made me think of Michaela, whose story I haven’t visited in a while. She’s the “star” of my very rough first novel "Lost and Found". If you like it, click here for more.

5 comments:

  1. It's amazing what some use nightlights for. I think this isn't about fearing the dark.

    excellent 100, Vic

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some really sweet moments gathered for the 100 Word Song this week, in the guise of motherly love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a sweet piece. I can believe a little boy would try to help his mother be brave like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, so sweet of the child to be worried about his mothers fears. A nice switch

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved how the child was more observant than the parent. This one made my heart smile.

    ReplyDelete