Friday, July 6, 2012

Closer



            Charlotte opened the sunroof of her little Honda coupe. The cool autumn breeze shattered the perfection of her carefully styled hair. She pressed number three on the CD changer and sang along:
I went to the doctor, I went to the mountains
I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain

There's more than one answer to these questions

pointing me in crooked line
The less I seek my source for some definitive
The closer I am to fine.
            Today she stopped trying to be someone she wasn’t—the person she had tried to be for years. She was more than a brilliant student. She was more than her research. She didn’t have a name for what she was and that was okay for now. For once, knowing the answer didn’t matter. She knew without question that this was the right path. Realization surrounded her like armor, like a warm blanket, like sunscreen. The time was right.
            Her cell phone rang. She glanced at the number and tossed the phone into the passenger seat.
            “Not today Honey,” she said out loud. “Today belongs to me.”
She pulled into the passing lane and sped up. Going faster, but no longer running away.

 

I’m linking up with Write on Edge today. Our prompt for the week was to write about “Freedom” in 400 words or less. For once, I didn’t have a hard time sticking to the word count. Charlotte has a lot to say. But for now, she’s just enjoying the ride. She has an interesting journey ahead.