Monday, October 29, 2012

Hunkering Down


      I have been a neglectful blogger lately. Life has seemed busier than usual this fall. So today I'm feeling grateful for Hurricane Sandy for forcing me to slow down for a bit. The boys are home from school and we're all cramming in some extra time on our favorite electronic gadgets before the inevitable power outages. So I thought I'd catch you up a bit on what my little clan has been up to lately.
      Saturday was the last soccer game of the season. It was a picture perfect New England autumn day and I was feeling a little sentimental. I even wrote a poem on my Iphone while I was watching the game. I'm not much of a poet so here goes...

Words

I wish I was a photographer.

I could capture the last of the crimson leaves clinging to oak and maple.

I could capture the way the dew looks like diamonds as it springs off a swiftly kicked soccer ball.

I could capture how the players' breath steams in the cool October air.

I could capture the rainbow of players united in love for the game.

Alas, I am a writer.






      But clearly, I am not a poet. Anyway, both boys won their last games. It was particularly nice for Owen since it was the first game his team won this season. The players were pretty good as individuals, but it took them a while to get the hang of playing as a team. Every kid gets a medal for participation (go ahead and make your commentaries about that), but there are two additional awards that are given to specific kids—one for “most improved” and one for “good sportsmanship”. Guess who's a good sport? I'm really proud of this:
My good sport.
      Fall also means that Cub Scouts are in full swing. Our local Boy Scout Council organized a huge event along the Charles River. There was CPR training, snow shoe relay races, shelter building, a zombie themed obstacle course, a ropes course, and so much more. But the highlight of the day was the world record breaking longest derby car track in the world. It was built to look like one of our favorite Boston landmarks, the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge.

Pretty cool, eh?

      As you know, Halloween is fast approaching. Owen told me he wanted to be a knight so we Googled some images to get ideas for his costume. He found this drawing....

No pressure. Really.




        I had a bolt of inspiration one day in Walmart (now that's a phrase you don't hear every day!)  when I came upon this solar auto-shade in a bin of random clearance merchandise.
       With the help of some florist wire, a paper plate and some duct tape, I turned it into a helmet, bracers, and boot covers. I made his cloak, tabard and scabbard from leftover curtain fabric and some scraps of felt. An old belt of mine and Owen's wooden sword completed his ensemble. This project made me feel like the McGyver of costuming. 

Not bad, eh?



      Finally, our theatrical world has been indirectly taking up my time. Hubby and I have to take turns doing shows so the kids will be properly fed and cared for. He just wrapped up an excellent production of Deathtrap. A local review called him “hunky”. Who am I to argue? So next is my turn for something theatrical. In a couple of weeks, auditions begin for a production of Moon Over Buffalo that I'm directing. It's a madcap farce about a troupe of actors.
       Meanwhile we're all hunkering down waiting for Sandy. We're ready though. We've put away or secured everything outside. We all took nice long hot showers this morning in case we don't have hot water. We've stocked up on batteries, flashlights, candles, and non-perishable food. Most importantly, we have enough red wine and Halloween candy to last for a week. See you soon Sandy!

No comments:

Post a Comment