Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Trifecta: Uneasy


            “It’s only an hour,” she told the reflection in the bathroom mirror. “You can do anything for an hour.”
            She made a mental checklist of everything she’d need and forced herself to take slow, deep breaths. But nothing could loosen the tightness in her chest and stop her shaking hands. She knew that stepping outside her comfort zone was supposed to be good for her, but she still felt  uneasy.
            “Are you almost ready to go?” he asked, tapping on the bathroom door.
            “Yeah. I guess,” she said opening the door.
            “You look terrified.”
            “Just a little. You promise me there will be a nice glass of bourbon waiting for me when I get home.”
            “No problem. Why did you volunteer for this when it scares you so much?"
            She shrugged, thinking back to the meeting where they called for volunteers.
            “Nobody else came forward.”
            “Honey, you’re going to be great. Besides, it’s just a handful of Cub Scouts. How bad could it be?”

           
            I’m linking up with Trifecta this week. This is a piece of highly realistic fiction. This week’s word is “uneasy".

UNEASY
1: causing physical or mental discomfort
2: not easy : difficult
3: marked by lack of ease : awkward, embarrassed <gave an uneasy laugh>

Please remember:

    Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.

    You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.

    The word itself needs to be included in your response.

    You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.

9 comments:

  1. great, easy, real dialogue

    This was YOUR voice. excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How bad could a handful of Cub Scouts be? That sounds like some famous last words! Great job with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ack! Crazy boys! It'll be insanity :)

    But I'm sure she'll do fine

    ReplyDelete
  4. It could be absolutely horrible. Shudder. Poor thing. I hope they left some scraps for her family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was great! Well written and surprise ending. A group of Cub Scouts could make a grown man cry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it's good bourbon! Cub Scouts are no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha! "Cub scouts are no joke." That's hilarious. Lots of boys in general are no joke. I had four of them at my house yesterday, and they just KEPT eating. It was insanity. Great job with the prompt. Love the levity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if this was real or fiction, but I really enjoyed this, partly because I know the terror of the first meeting as a Cub Scout leader. It happened to me last year - get this: because nobody else volunteered! Turns out the group of nine-year-olds went easy on me (except for my own son) and this year, I'm enjoying them as ten-year-olds. Next year, I will enjoy them being in Boy Scouts (where I will not be volunteering!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a girl scout leader for 13 years. It is a stressful job. Great post

    ReplyDelete