Thursday, January 3, 2013

Another Auld Lang Syne


            “Time to move up in the world,” Tony had said. “Come work with me.”
            So Karen left the diner for the country club. Her feet still hurt, she still had burns on her fingers and old men still pinched her ass. Money didn’t mean class. She held her head high and did her job. She would survive.
            “They’re about to announce the new couple,” Tony said.
            She opened the door enough to watch them enter the ballroom. Her knees buckled when she saw the groom’s whiskey colored eyes.
            “Ladies and Gentlemen,” the bandleader announced. “Welcome Mr. and Mrs. Henry Petersen.”

My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog
             This latest installment of Karen’s story comes in response to two prompts. The inspiration for this week’s 100 Word Song is Dan Fogelberg’s "Auld Lang Syne"—one of my favorites from way back.  In fact, my very first Karen story was entitled "Auld Lang Syne". I’ve been singing it non stop over the past couple of days (apologies to my family). It’s also in response to this week’s Trifecta prompt:
 survive
1: to remain alive after the death of <he is survived by his wife>
2: to continue to exist or live after <survived the earthquake>
3: to continue to function or prosper despite : withstand <they survived many hardships>

           

4 comments:

  1. I love the descriptor, whiskey colored eyes. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would slap any old guy who pinched me, job be damned! (: Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh at Draug's comment! Waitressing in college, I had to suck it up and put up with some disrespectful, piggish behavior and comments if I wanted to make rent. However, in an instance like this, the slap would be so worth it :)

    My heart fell when she saw him...it's obvious he is a blast from the past and still holds a place in her heart.

    ReplyDelete