Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wordless Wednesday: Rockin' the Bump



             Today I’m linking up with Shell over at Things I Can’t Say for Rockin’ the Bump. I had intended this to be a Wordless Wednesday post, but I couldn’t resist a little commentary.


This is me 42 weeks pregnant with Owen the morning of my cousin’s wedding. Yup, 42 weeks pregnant. I hadn’t planned on going to the wedding. I thought I’d have a newborn baby and didn’t think I could manage a wedding that soon. I had an ultra sound and a non-stress test earlier that weekend to make sure everything was fine. My obstetrician said something like, “The baby’s fine. But we think he’s over ten pounds. I think he hasn’t dropped because he won’t fit. You might want to consider a c-section.” I said, “Over ten pounds? Sign me up!”
The only time I've ever worn flip flops to a wedding.

Two days later I was holding this guy. He wasn’t over ten pounds, only nine and a half. But his head was in the 95 percentile. I can’t express how grateful I am to live in a time when surgical births are routine.

This is Owen’s birthday two years later I had this baby bump. It’s the only picture I could find of myself pregnant with James. There are however, thousands of pictures of Owen during this time. I must have always been the one holding the camera. I had a second c-section because I had never heard of a second baby being smaller than the first.

Two weeks later James joined our little family. He weighed seven pounds, seven ounces. I bet I could have handled that!

7 comments:

  1. They let you go to 42 weeks? That's just cruel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 42 weeks? You're a trooper.
    My first was a c-section because she was breach, and I agree, thank goodness for surgical births.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously!? 42 weeks and 9.5lbs?! I'm only 31 weeks now and 40 still seems so far away!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you went that long. My son came five days early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pictures! When I was pregnant an ultrasound at 36 weeks showed an 8.5 or 9 lb baby- I can't even begin to explain how small I am, and therefore, how much I was in denial. I thought there was no way. Surely the OB was mistaken. When he was born 10 days overdue, he only weighed 7 lb 11 oz, but his head WAS the head of a 9 lb baby, and he just wouldn't fit. Had a c-section, also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine was premie, and I had an emergency c-section, but when she got to her due date and I saw how big she was, I couldn't imagine squeezing that out! Sheesh. Your bumps and babies are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these pics! Also, you just gave me something else to be grateful for: 40 wk pregnancies. I don't know how you did 42!
    Also mine were the same 9#s followed by a 7#...both c-sections.

    ReplyDelete