Tuesday, January 24, 2012

RemebeRED: The Box


            Finally! I thought I’d be on that shelf forever. Oh sure, she’s taken me down every once in a while—like at Halloween or if someone needs to borrow some stage blood or spirit gum. But it’s been ages since she’s brought me to a theatre. That’s where I belong, you know. I don’t belong on the top shelf of a closet with that dress she’s never going to fit into again and her son’s baptism outfit. I belong in the theatre making people look older, or younger, or tired, or scary. 
            She bought me back in the early nineties. That’s why my colors are so garish—teal and raspberry. They’re eighties colors really. She picked me up on clearance at the Poughkeepsie Jamesway and filled me with makeup from Max Factor and Ben Nye and Mehron. Before she found me she was using an ugly old fishing tackle box. Can you imagine?
            When she took me down on Saturday, I knew this time was different. She didn’t just rifle through me for one or two things. She cleaned my brushes. She threw away makeup that was past its prime. She emptied everything out and cleaned me with Clorox wipes. Those stung a little. But now I feel really sharp.
            She bought new makeup. She’s gotten smarter over the years. She didn’t bother buying a whole kit full of things she’s never going to need. How many skeins of crepe hair has she thrown away over the years? How much nose putty? This time she ordered a couple of containers of base and bought eye shadow and lipstick at Target. She even bought something called eyelid primer. Apparently in the new millennium, one needs to prime one’s eyelids.
I’m on my way! She left me on a chair in the living room next to some shopping bags. I bet they’re filled with costumes. I wonder who I’ll turn her into this time. Usually, I just make sure her pasty Irish skin doesn’t get washed out under the stage lights. But once I got to make her look like an old lady. Another time she was a witch with green skin and purple lips. I’ll be there for whatever she needs. I’m returning to the theatre. That’s where I belong.

Do objects have a memory? Does a rocking chair hold the essence of the snuggles it has witnessed? Does a pottery mug remember the comforting warmth it offered a struggling soul?
The dictionary defines personification as “the attribution of a personal nature or human characteristics to something nonhuman, or the representation of an abstract quality in human form.”
Now it’s your turn to tell a piece of your story from the point of view of an object who bore witness in 400 words or less.

15 comments:

  1. This was neat - I love how you get the senses in from the perspective of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Apparently in the new millennium, one needs to prime one’s eyelids." HAHAHA!! That line made me laugh out loud and scare my cat!

    In other words, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fun. I wrote about a blanket, so your was much more exciting. I want to hang out with you, so you can fix me up, prime my lids, putty my nose. I've never been a part of the theater (except for the minor role I played in a tiny high school play) and I think I could easily fall in love with becoming someone new each night on stage. Well done. I hope you put your box to good use again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I hope the box gets some action it enjoys :) I like the little touches you used to bring it to life, like the sting of the Clorox wipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes you do belong there! I am so happy to read and hear about these returned adventures under the bright lights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kept thinking this box should be the opening act of whatever play it's going to. It seemed like it would have enough sass and attitude to be an actor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! An edge of anticipation after a (too) long hiatus... I hope that the return to theatre went as well as it could! Your piece gives a good feeling of the passage of time -- the change in the fashions of colour, the cleaning out of the dusty corners, the idea that 'she' has become smarter with experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made a damn box an exciting, dynamic character.

    wow at the great writing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! My favorite line was about priming the eyelids. So funny and realistic. I love when the box "knew it would be different." It really shows how the box was personified. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited about a box returning to the theater! I want to go! Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome. It really does tell a story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so much fun!! It makes me want to go try out for a play like I used to do in my teens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah! This reminds me of my Kaboodle! Mine was teal and pink. Filled with ugly makeup, nail polishes, and little sample perfume bottles.

    Such a good job here. The box has a love for the theater that mirrors that of her owner, and I think that's just great. I love the building anticipation of the ending...a star is re-born! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter has my old Kaboodle :D I liked the line about the Clorox wipes stinging. Great physical attribute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! Going to pass this along to all of my Theatre friends!

    ReplyDelete