Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sweet, Sour and Sorrowful


            My Aunt Donna died last week. I’ve started  and stopped several different posts about it. There is a lot to say about her courageous battle with cancer, about how she lived her life on her own terms, and of course the things that got on my nerves that seem so petty now. There were poignant moments to commemorate—some sad and some joyful.
But I’m not up to the task of writing about life and death this week. The Irish side of me handles grief by finding something to laugh about and the Italian side of me uses food to handle strong emotions. So today, I’m going to write about something that combines both: Wake Cakes. That doesn’t sound very appetizing does it? Wake Cakes—blech. It sounds like some dry and crumbly Irish invention made with oats that need to be dipped them in whiskey to choke them down. That’s what you would think. But you’d be mistaken.
Wake cakes are lemon squares—delicate bars made with shortbread crust and lemon topping and sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar. For years someone in my vast network of family and friends  made lemon squares for the gathering after a funeral. Some resourceful ladies have been known to keep lemon squares in the freezer just in case an unexpected and unfortunate occasion comes up. So somewhere along the line those marvelous sweet and sour treats became known as “Wake Cakes”.
So when my mother asked if I had time to bake something for after the service, my mind went right to Wake Cakes. The lemon square recipes I had all called for an 8 x 8 pan. I can guarantee you, that does not make enough of these tasty morsels. So I did a little tinkering and came up with a larger version. Don’t wait until someone dies to try these out:

Wake Cakes
(aka Lemon Squares)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter cut into chunks
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
finely shredded peel from one lemon
6 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (1 1/2-2 lemons)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
additional powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350º

Stir together 2 cups flour, confectioner’s sugar, and salt.

Cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Press into an ungreased (really—don’t even use non-stick spray)13x9 inch pan.

Bake for 10-12 minutes

Beat eggs.

Add granulated sugar, lemon peel, and juice.  Beat until smooth and slightly thickened.

In a separate bowl, thoroughly stir together 1/4 cup flour & 1/2 t. baking powder. Add to egg mixture and stir until just moistened.

Pour over crust layer and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Sift powdered sugar on top.

Cool completely and cut into squares. The first one or two bars are tricky to get out of the pan. Offer these less pretty Wake Cakes to anyone who may be helping in the kitchen. If you’re working on your own, eat them yourself. Calories don’t count when you’re grieving.

13 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss but am glad you could make something to honor her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive me, but I thought the Irish side would be to drink until you forget?
    I'm sorry about your aunt's passing. The wake cakes made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be sure sometimes the laughter doesn't come without the drinking!
      Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    I'd never heard of wake cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shell! I think it was a friend of my mother's who first coined the phrase.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry for your aunts passing. Debating starting a petition to remove January from the calendar, I'm so done with the bad news it usually brings. One of my dearest friends lost her husband to a horrible car accident last week. I think I'll make a pan or three of these. Peace to you, my friend. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash. I was sorry to read about your friend's husband--terrible to even think about. I would totally sign that petition. It does seem like a lot of loss going on around this winter.

      Peace to you as well!

      Delete
  5. I have to confess that your description of the Wake Cakes got me choked up. That something light & sunny, sweet yet also sour ended up being the thing served at wakes...just seems too fitting. Just perfect.
    I'm sorry about your aunt.
    Came from the WOE linky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry for your loss. I like your description of the two sides of you dealing with it--laughing and eating can both be a great comfort. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sorry for your loss. You can include me among those who have never heard of Wake Cakes- sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry for your loss. Lemon cake, laughter and eating are all wonderful. What a lovely way to honor your Aunt's memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being married to an Italian, I totally get the food connection. My husband will be so glad you shared this recipe.

    ReplyDelete