Friday, January 20, 2012

Fiction on Friday: The Bathing Suit


            Karen rubbed baby oil into her skin. She closed her eyes listened to the water as the sun warm her body. She tried to forget about the diner with its greasy food and greasier customers. She ignored her sore feet and the little burns dotting her arms and hands from the grill and the fry vat.
            She turned over on the folding chaise and tugged the royal purple Jantzen one piece over her behind. She loved the way the bathing suit showed off her curves and made her blue eyes look violet.
“Why are you wasting your money on a bathing suit?” her mother yelled when she bought it.
 “Mum, it was on clearance at Edgar’s. It was less than half price!”
“I don’t care how much of a bargain it was. You’re waiting tables six days a week and we don’t have a car. You’re living in a fantasy world Girlie if you think you’ll get to the beach any time soon.”
“You’re right. I’m working my tail off and I spent some of my hard-earned money for myself. I give you almost every dime I make for the rent. I bought this one thing for myself. I deserve it.”
“Might as well flush that money down the toilet. Besides, you’ll look like a bunch of grapes in that purple.”
But Karen knew the bathing suit was worth every dime. She felt like a movie star, not a waitress. The diner seemed miles away for now. The lousy tippers couldn’t touch her here. Here in the sunlight there were no complaints and no greasy dishes. The warmth soothed her no achy back and fraying nerves.
Sweat beaded up on her forehead. She stood and stretched and then dashed through the lawn sprinkler. Maybe getting to the beach was a fantasy, but for now a fantasy was better than nothing.



This week for the Write on Edge prompt we were given this quote for inspiration, ““The cure for anything is salt water….sweat, tears or the sea.” ~ Isak Dinesen, pseudonym of Baroness Karen von Blixen-Finecke. Word limit 300.

For more about Karen click here.

6 comments:

  1. Love the run through the sprinklers. It speaks of a reluctance to let go of the innocence of childhood, at least to me. You carried the character development far in just the few words, which is an accomplishment to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of us can relate to needing to escape, even if it's just in a half-price bathing suit. It reminded me of being young, and being a little more free in what I got to spend my money on.
    ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL what a totally unexpected ending! Wonderfully descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love that she's in her backyard, and I can hear the tang of a tough New Englander in the mother's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I totally thought she had made it to the beach - the ending was completely unexpected. This character - and her mom - came to life for me. Really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!!! I felt like I was right there with her running through the sprinklers. :)

    ReplyDelete