Saturday, March 24, 2012

100 Word Song: Sick Girl

My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog

            I’m linking up with the 100 Word Song prompt at My Blog Can Beat up Your Blog. This week’s inspiration was the song “Sick Girl” by Social Distortion. I sat down to write a fictionalized piece based something that happened last January when my aunt was losing her battle with lung cancer. In the end, I just wanted to tell the story. The only thing fictional about the following piece is the gender of the nurse, which I changed to reflect the prompt.

 

Sick

            “Let me know if you need anything else,” the nurse said handing me the ice chips.

            I wondered what my aunt thought of her piercings and vibrant sleeve tattoos.

            “Thank you,” I said spooning the ice chips into my aunt’s mouth. She had fought for longer than anyone expected, but now the cancer was winning. She was thin and frail.

            The nurse paused on her way out and looked at my aunt. Her eyes were prominent in her withered face. “You have the most beautiful brown eyes,” she said.

            “Thank you,” she whispered ignoring the tattoos and seeing only kindness.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you broke down sickness into a moment of heart between two characters.

    I love how compliments her eyes. It's real and telling.

    Good one, vic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed... really well done, touching piece!

    ReplyDelete