Friday, March 9, 2012

Till the End of Time


            As she pushed her way into the apartment, Karen heard the crackle and hiss of a needle hitting a well-worn vinyl record. When she heard the familiar melody, she swore quietly to herself. It must be August 31st. Peggy was sitting at the kitchen table lighting one cigarette from another.
            “Hey Mum,” she said. “You okay?”
            “There’s my sweet girl,” Peggy slurred. “Come sit with your mother.”
            Karen slipped her aching feet out of her shoes, rested her bag on the counter, and sat at the round maple table.
            “You look hot,” Peggy said. “You want a coke?”
            “Yeah Mum. I’ll get it in a second.”
            “This song was playing the night I met your father.”
            “I know Mum.”
            “I’m gonna get you that coke.”
            “I’ll get it Mum. I just want to get off my feet for a minute.”
            “Of course you do Sweetie. You work so hard.”
            Peggy rose from her chair and crossed the kitchen, humming as she went.
            “It was a USO dance,” she began. “The boys were all so handsome in their uniforms. Of course, I was nothing to sneeze at myself. Oh! The figure I had in those days! I wore red a dress. My mother thought it looked cheap. But I thought I looked glamorous.”
            She poured more whiskey into her glass and forgot about Karen’s coke. Peggy was lost in the sound of Perry Como’s rich baritone voice.
So, take my heart in sweet surrender,
and tenderly say that I’m,
the one you love and live for,
till the end of time.

Karen sat back in her chair. Her mother relived the story twice a year—the anniversaries of the beginning and ending of her marriage. When she was fifteen, Karen tried to stop her mother from telling the story. Peggy went from nostalgic drunk to bitter rage in a matter of seconds. Since then, Karen just sat and listened. Each year the story grew. The dance was longer. The men more handsome. The dress more glamorous. But the ending to the story didn’t change much. There was love. There was heartbreak. There was a dance ended too soon.

Write On Edge: Red-Writing-Hood
This week, the prompt from The Red Dress Club asked us to go to This Day In Music, and discover what was number 1 on the charts in the United States, England or Australia the day you or your character was born, or any other special day in your/their life. I chose a random day in the forties when I thought Karen’s parents might have met. I came up with Perry Como’s first hit, “Till the End of Time.” If you'd like to read more about Karen, click here.

11 comments:

  1. gut punch

    How Karen's memory is intertwined with the sing is bittersweet. She always looks at everything through survival mode, kind of like Helene.

    I love the power of this. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad... there was just enough of a teaser here to really make you want more, to know more of what is going on.
    This sentence stuck out, Peggy went from nostalgic drunk to bitter rage in a matter of seconds, because of the picture that it painted of Peggy. The combination of alcohol and memories, good or bad, can be like oil and water for some people and I'm thinking that is the case for Peggy.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. I dig the characters and this is definitely a great launching pad for a longer story. If you expand on this, let me know because I'd love to read it. *High five*

    ReplyDelete
  4. An evocative piece for such a short count! I'm very impressed - a great job with the prompt.

    Couple of quick editorial notes:
    “Yeah[,] Mum."
    “I know[,] Mum.”
    “I’m gonna get you that coke.”
    “I’ll get it in [a minute,] Mum.

    - Barbara at www(dot)derebus(dot)net/home, via Write on Edge

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like this scene really captures the mood of the overall tone in your WIP. There's a sense of nostalgia and a push and pull between the past and the present I always feel when I read about Karen.

    The little touch about Peggy getting up to get Karen a Coke and pouring herself another drink instead? Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the mood is perfect. I get the sense this snapshot is well-worn and yellowed with age. Well played!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey little sister ! Been enjoying catching up with Karen and Henry. You got me digging out my old novel (doesn't everyone have one somewhere ?) and re-reading my old writings ! You are an inspiration. You set a scene so well, must be the theater training.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad, she only has that memory to hold onto. Such a tough relationship to have with a woman who is generally difficult to deal with due to alcohol but you kind of feel bad squelching her only good memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So Sad! looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely. I really enjoyed the last bit, the exaggeration of the story but the meaning the same. Truly a nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. really good - it paints this portrait of a woman who was once young and naive and glamorous in her red dress, who aged into this heavy drinking woman who can't get out of her own memories enough to see what's good in her life right now. so sad.

    ReplyDelete