Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mama Kat's Writing Workshop: The Rose Goes to...

Mama’s Losin’ It

            I’m linking up with Mama Kat’s writing workshop today. Today’s topic was influenced by the reality TV show, The Bachelor. I’ve never actually watched the show myself. I don’t get reality shows—reality has no place in entertainment for me. I’d much rather watch something about aliens or time travel or ancient civilizations. But I digress… “On The Bachelor a rose is given to the women he could really see himself spending the rest of his life with. What six things in your life would you like to give a rose to and why?”

Things I’d Like to Give a Rose to

My GPS I have a terrible sense of direction. I hate to tell you how much gas I have wasted driving around unfamiliar towns getting more and more lost. In fact, I get lost in familiar places too. So, last Christmas my husband gave me a Tom Tom. It’s the best electronic gadget EVER. I am perpetually lost and this baby gets me back on track every time.

L'Oreal's EverPure Shampoo I was never very loyal to one brand of shampoo or another. Truth be told, I’m kind of inept when it comes to hair. I keep it just long enough to pull it into a ponytail and that’s the extent of my hair styling skilz. However, I inherited a charming trait of prematurely gray hair silver highlights. So I’ve been coloring this mop for as long as I can remember. As a result, my hair gets really dry. I discovered L’Oreal’s Ever Pure line. It is the only shampoo I’ve ever used that didn’t make my hair feel dry as soon as I washed it. I won’t use anything else. By the way, I was not paid to say nice things about this product. But if anyone from L'Oreal is reading this, I'd be happy to endorse your product!

My Crockpot I know, I know. Sexy, right? But seriously, this thing has saved my sanity this year—not to mention lots of dough. One of my favorites is a whole chicken that tastes just like the rotisserie roasted from the supermarket. Check it our here. Easy, delicious and cheap. Even my picky eater likes it. We also do lots of bean recipes—super economical and much cheaper than take-out. What more could a mom ask for?

My Pashminas My mother has given me three of these fine wool scarves over the past couple of years. They are elegant and warm at the same time. I can’t tell you how often people have looked past my ratty black ski jacket and said, “Oh! I love your scarf!” It’s fun to say, “Thanks. My mom picked it up for me in Florence.” Not as much fun as saying, “I picked it up in Florence.” But still fun. It’s much more acceptable to wrap one around yourself inside someone’s chilly house than an afghan.

Smart Wool Socks (are you noticing a trend?) This is New England and even though we’ve had a blessedly mild winter it’s still cold. We’re very frugal in my house so the heat stays low and we have lots of blankets and snuggling. But sometimes you have to get off the couch or out of bed. A bad day starts for me when none of my wool socks are clean.

My IPhone Yes. I’ve drunk the Kool Aide and gotten a smart phone. The phone I had before was an old clunky flip phone. When I was helping out at Vacation Bible School last summer, I let one of the teenaged volunteers borrow it to call home for a ride. She said, “Hey! My grandma has this phone.” Ouch. Now I can text, tweet, e-mail and bribe my children with Angry Birds. I love technology!
            So what are your favorite things these days?

3 comments:

  1. Great list! I think everyone with an iPhone is including it on their list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My socks and my crockpot. Excellent choices. And my husband would give a rose to his GPS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore my crockpot! It's the best feeling in the world to know that when I get home from work, dinner is done!

    ReplyDelete