Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Homework Momster


Mama’s Losin’ It

Today I’m linking up with Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop. The prompt, “What about school do you miss the least?” might have meant for us to discuss what we didn’t miss from our own school days. But what came to mind for me (in large block letters) was what I won’t miss when my kids are done with school in June.

            Monday through Thursday from 4:00 to 5:00 are the worst four hours of the week. We stagger into the house tired and hungry from work and school. There is nothing more I want than to make a cup of tea for myself and a snack for the boys. I want to put my feet up and hear about their day. I want to listen while Owen gets outraged about the Cherokee being forced off their land. I want James to tell me about the reptile guy who came to the school today.
            But there isn’t time. There is too much homework. They’ve been in school since 9:00 and they each have at least another hour of work ahead of them. For a while I tried sending them outside to run off some of their energy before they settle down. I worry that they don’t get enough time outdoors and it’s usually dark by the time homework is finished. Instead of being more focused and relaxed they would run back inside every fifteen minutes to see if their time was up. They just want the homework over with. They know that getting to play beforehand just puts off the inevitable. Homework stretches beyond the dinner hour if they play first. From their perspective, it makes bedtime come that much sooner.
            So while they’re doing their homework, I’m usually emptying the dishwasher and trying to get dinner made. They ask me questions about homework, which I do my best to answer. Sometimes they get distracted and tell me about something that happened in school. I want to hear, but I want them to focus on their work so they’ll get it over with. I tell them to tell me while we’re eating dinner. They’ll bicker with each other; I’ll get irritable and tell them to get back to work. Dinner takes twice as long as it should to make because I spend so much time telling them to stay focused.
Of course they aren’t the only ones who are distracted. Most days we need to be somewhere right after dinner—Cub Scouts, soccer, baseball, rehearsal. So I’m keeping my eye on the clock while I’m juggling their questions and my other tasks. I hate the person I become when my kids do homework. She’s short tempered and mean. She doesn’t have time to listen to the things her kids need to tell her. My fondest wish for this summer is to replace the phrases “hurry up” and “stay focused” with “tell me more about that” and “slow down Pal, we’re in no hurry.”

7 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how hard and stressful that is. My son isn't in school yet.
    But I know from the ending of this post that you are a wonderful mom. Summer is just a few weeks away :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lot of stress! I remember those days and I have great news for you! It DOES get easier....if you let it. My kids are 14 and 18 now and although I sometimes feel guilty for not being the June Cleaver they deserve, I DO enjoy it when my son makes dinner on the grill like he did last night and my daughter goes grocery shopping for the family. We give her the debit card and an hour and a half later, it is like the food fairy came to our house! It sounds like you do an incredible job taking care of your babies!! Don't forget to take care of you!!! My favorite parts of the day are between 7-8am when both kids leave the house (ahhhhhhh......ME TIME) and 3-4pm when they come back home (thank God they are home safe and I get to see them now). Enjoy your tea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son goes to kindergarten yet and for some reason, I look forward to homework. I know he won't be in the end, it teaches discipline and that hard work and practice pay off. I may change my tune when it finally comes a bout though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I just stepped in to my own kitchen. The girls are 14 and 10, and it seems like the homework just piles up more and more the longer we are in school. Sometimes they have multiple projects eating up all their weekend time too. For that, and many other reasons, I am very excited for next year to come now that we are going to home school the younger child. Although we'll still have the headache of high school, at least my 5th grader might get to have more time to just be a kid. Hugs to you - you are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a shame how high the homework piles up, isn't. It? I am not looking forward to that at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate how much homework kids get these days. I hope you all enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete