Monday, June 4, 2012

100 Word Song: Reprieve

My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog




            I’m linking up today with the 100 Word Song meme over at My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog. This week’s musical inspiration is the song “This Too Shall Pass” by Okay Go.






Reprieve


            The soft clink of a pebble striking glass roused Karen. She had barely slept. Concerns about her mother tap-danced through her brain all night.  She lifted the shades and squinted at the sunlight. Henry stood in the yard below.
            “What are you doing Henry?”
            “I miss you.”
            “It’s only been three days.”
            “Haven’t you missed me? No, don’t answer. I’ll be crushed if you didn’t. Get dressed. I’m taking you to the beach.”
            She leaned back into the room, shaking her head.
            “You should go,” her mother said from the doorway. “I haven’t seen you smile like that in years.”

2 comments:

  1. The first line is magic. It sets a sweet tone that juxapositions with Karen's usual demeanor in aa deep, interesting way.

    I like how she lets herself go in the moment. What a great character. Excellent 100, vic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her mother in the doorway gave me the good goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete