Friday, June 8, 2012

To the Beach

 
They picked up fish and chips from the only stand still open after Labor Day and spread their feast on a blanket. Henry watched the tiny moments of embarrassment flicker across Karen’s face when a piece of fish fell apart before it reached her mouth and when she wiped tarter sauce from her chin.
“What are you staring at Henry?” she asked.
“The most beautiful girl in the world eating fish and chips on the beach. I think I’m in heaven.”
She rolled her eyes and shook her head. “I’m a mess. I haven’t slept in days.”
“You’re beautiful. I would have taken you to the moon to get your mind off your mother. I’m glad you agreed to come.”
“I’m really glad you asked,” she said. “I can’t remember the last time I was at the beach. It’s so quiet today.”
“The tourists have gone home for the season. It’s just the locals and the kids playing hooky from school.”
“And me playing hooky from life.”
“I wish you didn’t have to work so hard.”
“Can I tell you a secret?”
“Anything.”
“Sometimes I wish that too. I get up every morning and put on my uniform and I go work. I try to pretend my mother and I are still shoring each other up. But I know it’s me holding her up. I smile through it all—greasy food, bad tips, achy feet, drunken mother. But the fact is, I wish I had it easier too. I wish my Dad had never left. I wish I was still his princess. I wish I was a college student instead of a waitress.”
Karen had never been so open before. Henry wanted to tell her he’d be there to shore her up. He’d be her Prince Charming. But he stayed quiet, afraid to break the spell.
“It’s made me who I am though,” she continued, shaking off the melancholy that had crept into her voice. “When you don’t have a lot, the little things mean more. Look at the waves. See how the green explodes into whiteness when they hit the shore? If I came to the beach all the time, I wouldn’t notice how beautiful it is.”  She held up her glass bottle of Coca Cola. “I love Coke. I’d rather have a Coke than ice cream or candy. We never have it at home because it’s expensive. If my dad never left, we’d probably have an icebox full of the stuff and it wouldn’t be special.”
“You are so different from anyone I’ve ever met. I think that’s why I love you. I wish I could take away every moment of pain you’ve ever had, but I’d never want you to be different than you are.”
“You love me?”
“I love you,” he whispered, leaning in to kiss her. It was soft and sweet and perfect.
“I love you too,” she said when they pulled apart. She stared into his eyes for a moment. “Can I ask you something Henry?”
“Anything.”
“Why did your mother start crying at dinner last week?”


I’m linking up with Write on Edge this week. The prompt was to use the phrase “to the moon” in a piece 500 words long. This is part of an ongoing series. You can read the rest of Karen’s story here.

18 comments:

  1. This a lovely series and your dialogue is so strong and your characters so believable. I like how Karen asked that at the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how Karen described how she appreciated things more because she didn't have them all the time. We do seem to take things for granted when we have them around all the time. You did a great job showing Henry's devotion through his actions and the dialogue, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tour strongest piece as far as dialogue goes. Henry is smooth. I don't know if I like him.

    You're doing an amazing job with Karen's body language, word choices, and emotional heft. I love her character. She's brilliant. more please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lance! I love that one of my few male readers is mistrustful of Henry. It's very interesting. Time will tell :-).

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any of the other installments, so I don't know the whole story. But I do like how Karen assumes life would be better if her dad was around. That isn't necessarily true. Either way, she has a wonderful way of making the best of things. I'm off to read more of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a really good point. Her dad was no bargain. Things could easily have been the same or worse with him in her life. Hope you enjoy reading more!

      Delete
  5. I really like Karen. The dialogue was very good. Enough about that, I need to know what happens next?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to disagree with Lance; I like Henry! I hope he doesn't disappoint me :)

    I like how you worked in the "to the moon"; it fit beautifully in their conversation.

    Also? Bringing back his mom's tears at dinner? It's exciting, because I thought that was such a tension filled moment, and I'd love to know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I have to go read the other installment! I really love this scene. There's just enough description to get us onto the beach. Liked how Karen described the waves to us.

    I don't see Henry as smooth here. Just very genuine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do read more. These characters have really taken on a life of their own. I love writing them. So glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for giving Karen a happy moment. And if Henry does anything to mess it up...ooh honey...

    I love this scene. So vivid. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Henry, I like Karen too, both of them could be good for one another. In fact it's just like what Karen talked about, Henry is different and expensive and interesting and she is too. Karen is introspective and kind and dreamy, and if they were alike they'd never see just how special each of them were and they'd never be able to know that they make a great pair.

    this was so lovely, the beach, the picnic, the sharing, I wanted to stretch my own legs and just watch them.

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story just grabs at me. Your writing just gets better and better, and there's the sense of familiarity for me that comes from knowing the geography, and just the timelessness of this kind of love story.

    Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it. Your interaction between Henry and Karen is incredible. To me, Karen is very relatable right now. Henry is more of a question mark to me. I can't decide if I like him or if I think he's headed for used car salesman slimy. Either way, I can't wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm... maybe it's time to get a pool going about how Henry's going to be in the end :-).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like Karen talking through her feelings. And the way Henry just let her wor some it out. Nicely done. I'm off to read some more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This piece really struck a chord with me. There were times in my life when I wished I didn't have to put on that uniform and walk into a place I hated just so I could put food on the table. And that feeling of melancholy, but still shaking it off because really, feeling sad about what is isn't really going to change things.

    Wow. Yep. Struck a chord.

    Awesome piece.

    ReplyDelete