Thursday, August 16, 2012

Just Between Me and Me

Mama’s Losin’ It
 
            I’m linking up this week with Mama Kat’s Writing Workshop. The assignment was to write a letter to my teenaged self. This was fun to write, but I doubt very much that girl would listen to a thing I have to say!

            Hey Vic, got a second? I know you’re in a hurry to get to rehearsal or a Key Club meeting. I want to talk to you about your life now and what’s coming in the next couple of years. There are loads of surprises to come—some good and some bad. But there are a couple of tips I’m going to give you that might make things a little easier along the way.
            First of all, in the second semester of your freshman year they’re going to put a baked potato bar in the school cafeteria. Don’t get hooked on it. You’ll think you’re immune to the “freshman fifteen” because you didn’t gain any weight first semester. You didn’t gain any weight because you were in a musical and dancing a couple of hours a day—and because there was no baked potato bar in the cafeteria. Between baked potatoes and beer, you’re going to “cow out” as Jamie says. Stick with the salad bar. It’s much easier to stay thin than to lose weight.
            While we’re on the subject of weight, you look fantastic. I know you think you’re chubby and flat chested. You’re looking in the warped mirror of a self-conscious seventeen-year-old girl. Trust me when I say, there will be times in your life you’d give anything for the body you have now. Also, stop hating your nose. Just stop it. The love of your life is going to think it’s adorable.
            Make time to learn a duet to sing with Papa in Italian. He loves to sing as much as you do. Your voice is a gift from his branch of the family. It’s would be a shame if you never sing together.
            I’m not going to tell you to work harder in school. You should, but I know you won’t listen to me. If nothing else, PLEASE work harder in French. You can take advanced foreign languages in college to get out of a couple of math classes. Trust me, it’s worth taking the time to study. Believe me, you’ll have a need for French (or Spanish, or Portuguese) more than you’ll have a need Algebra in your life.
            Your oldest child will start talking. He or she (no, I won’t say which) will also learn to read. I promise. That child is as stubborn as you and his dad combined. He or she does everything in his or her own time. Pressure will only slow the kid down. When he or she starts talking and reading, it’s going to blow you away.
            There will come a time of deep sadness in you life. You’ll know what I mean when it happens. You’ll try to get back on your feet and make everyone think you’re okay before you really are. Don’t do it. Let yourself wallow for a little while—just a little while. You can’t go back and wallow later if everyone thinks you’re already fine.
            Don’t worry though. The blessing in your life will far out number the tough times. Listen more than you talk, take long walks, eat your vegetables, don’t sweat the small stuff, and wear sunscreen. 

Teenaged me would never believe I listen to country music. She'd be horrified. 

8 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm 39 too :@)

    over from mama kat's and so far our letter to our opinionated, strong-willed, know-it-all selves as teenagers is the popular prompt.

    I loved the advice on foreign language! SO wish I would have stayed with it, such a bonus for the new college grad today

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so well written! If only we knew then what we know now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. You are a beautiful writer.

    Thank you for including your concerns over your oldest child and his speech. My 2 year old is still speaking 50% gibberish, 40% what sounds like Mandarin, and 10% "words". I worry constantly that he will never talk. So, thank you for reassuring not only your younger self, but me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The prom dress is amazing. Also...is that a fan?

    I think the majority of us would tell our old self to stop freaking out about our weight and appearance. That's definitely one of the top things on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this...great advice...if only we'd known then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such good advice. As you laid it out there for young you, I hope you gave umm.....less young you a pat on the back for having learned so much in life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to write a letter to myself... There are so many silly things I've done as a teenager... :P

    Great advice to your younger self.. Sometimes we wish we had someone who could tell us this as it was about to happen, and not after it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great letter, language connects us to people more than numbers ever can. (I might be biased, I can't count!) Learning Italian and learning more from my Dad are some of my own life regrets too. :)

    ReplyDelete