Thursday, August 9, 2012

100 Word Song: Mountain Music

My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog

             I’ve been feeling very sentimental lately. Over the weekend, my family (all 20 of us) gathered at a lake house in New Hampshire to celebrate my parents’ fiftieth anniversary. A couple of days later, my eldest niece (who is also my Godchild and who was the flower girl at my wedding) became engaged to a great guy. When I heard this week’s song choice, "Swing Away Life" by Rise Against I was reminded of the Simon & Garfunkle songs we used to listen to on family trips when we traveled around the country with a limited number of eight-track tapes. The music selection this weekend was a lot wider and the memories just as warm. A big thank you to my nieces who introduced me to some great new music and still tolerated what the old farts wanted to listen to. 

             “America” by Simon and Garfunkle mingled with our laughter and conversation. One or two of us hummed along. Memories of other summer nights in other mountains joined us on the porch.
“That’s our theme song.”
Years of shared experiences and love put us at ease. There is comfort in the company of those who have seen you cry and laugh and bleed. Still each other’s siblings, we’re now mothers and fathers and uncles and aunts.
            “Anyone want a glass of wine?”
            “Just bring the bottle.”
            “You mean the box?”
            “Yes, just bring the box.”
            “That should be our family motto.”

 

11 comments:

  1. "Just bring the box..." that made me laugh. Sounds like your family has a great time when they get together. I hope you all have many more years of fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nicely this week's song brushed edges with what was taking place in your own family life. Thank you for sharing the moment with us.

    My favorite line is: "There is comfort in the company of those who have seen you cry and laugh and bleed." There is a truth in that that made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Thanks for putting it into words. I'm feeling so sentimental myself that I catch myself on the verge of tears buying paperclips in Target.

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting how that song has caused so many of us to think and dream of familial love. Lovely words - congrats to the "newlyweds" of 50 years. Many more to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Just bring the box" totally made my day.
    I can hear my sisters and I saying the same thing!
    This was so nicely written, it was wonderful to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing quite like memories like that, is there? Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love Simon and Garfunkel, and I love America in particular. But I absolutely loved that bringing the box of wine along should be your family's motto.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have so many memories tied to various songs. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The box! Was there ever a better invention ever?

    ReplyDelete