Friday, September 28, 2012

100 Word Song: Wait

My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog
            I'm linking up with the 100 Word Song challenge over at My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog. Each week we're given a song to inspire a story told in exactly 100 words. This week's song choice was "I Will Wait" by Mumford and Sons. The gorgeous lyrics that caught my attention were:

Now I'll be bold, as well as strong
And use my head along side my heart
So tame my flesh and fix my eyes
a tethered mind freed from the lies

            They made me think of my character Karen. If you'd like to read more of her story, click here.

Wait


            Karen watched Henry’s car pull away. He had held her in his arms and wiped her tears away as he tried not to cry.

It isn’t the end.

It’s only an internship.

Chicago isn’t that far away.

            But she knew.

            Chicago could be next door or on the other side of the world. More than miles separated them now. She could pretend he’d be back for her. But that wasn’t her way. She stared the truth in the eye as she always had. Lying to herself would keep her tied to the ground. Knowing the truth would cut the tethers.

3 comments:

  1. Ouch. Brutal scene but Karen handles it with dignity and grace. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor karen. I could see her strength but i could feel her heart breaking too

    ReplyDelete
  3. That painful moment when you just know. When you feel the last page of the story breezing by. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete