Thursday, September 13, 2012

Trifecta Challenge: Radical

            Professor Melville Andrews leaned back in his chair, propped his elbows on the armrests, pressed his fingertips together and waited.
            “The thing is,” Charlotte said. “I think I’m losing my mind.”
            Mel merely nodded for her to go on.
            “That accident where the student was killed last week? I knew it was going to happen. I was about to pull my car out of the driveway right before the crash. But I something told me not to go. I shut off the engine and went back inside. The minute I closed the door I heard the crash. I held her hand while she died.”
            “I’m so sorry Char. Anyone would have trouble dealing with something like that.”
            “But there’s more. Last week I was having coffee in the student lounge when I started having this feeling of pure joy that I just couldn’t explain. I’ve never felt anything like it before. When I checked my mail later there was a letter from Brendan McGee.”
            “Your old flame.”
 “He’s coming into town next month and he wants to get together.”
“A happy coincidence?”
“The thing that really freaked me happened when my roommate Cary was washing the dishes. I had a vision of them covered in blood.”
“Did she hurt herself?"
“No. She was cast as Lady Macbeth in the Spring production.”
Dr. Andrews pressed his lips together, trying to suppress a grin.
“I don’t believe in any of this crap. From the time I was in kindergarten I wanted to be a scientist. I don’t buy into this psychic mumbo jumbo. If I can study it and prove it it’s real.”
“So study it.”
“What are you talking about?”
“Look Char, something is happening to you. It sounds real enough to me. Start keeping a journal of what’s going on.”
“I can’t believe you aren’t going to recommend I see a shrink about this.”
“Is it really so radical to believe that your brain is capable of more than you thought it was?”

I'm linking up for the first time this week for the Trifecta Challenge. The challenge this week was to use the word "radical" in a piece that is between 33 and 333 words long. I made it by 1 word.
 

10 comments:

  1. i love how you did the last line, It's natural, open-minded, and well done.

    Is this a new story you're working on? more please. I want to see what's all in her head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lance! Yes, this is something that's been floating around in my head for a really long time. Charlotte is a scientist and a skeptic and finds herself developing psychic abilities.

      Delete
  2. I love how you have the professor sit back and listen before offering his wisdom. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that's what makes him one of Charlotte's favorite people.

      Delete
  3. I really like this. I want to know what happens before and after!

    P.S. coming to Boston Oct. 20-27.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nikki! This is a snippet of what happens before... http://39forthefirsttime.blogspot.com/2012/09/imlinking-up-with-fabulous-100-word.html

    Still a ways to go on what happens later.

    Looking forward to getting together in October!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not that radical at all, actually. Given all the new information we're uncovering about the universe every day, it's not impossible to believe there's another field of energy about which we knew nothing. I love your exploration of that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is good enough to stand on it's own. One of those pieces that is sufficiently resolved but nice to know there's more. You "do" conversation really well. It flows naturally and I feel like I'm in the room with the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and a little celebration here...YAY! I got a comment posted! Your blog usually doesn't like me and I can't post so I'm happy I managed this time :D

      Delete