Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Thrifty Tasty Tuesday: Peanut Sesame Slaw


             My kids aren't big salad eaters. I'm pretty happy that they're willing to eat most cooked vegetables that I put in front of them, but the appeal of raw veggies eludes them. We were at an anniversary party for a family member back in January. It was in a restaurant much nicer than my kids are used to. When the salad course came, we were served a salad that was like a cole slaw with an Asian style dressing. There were cashews sprinkled on the top and I convinced Owen to give it a try. Reluctantly, he nibbled a few pieces and loved it. He asked if we could try to make it at home.
           The following recipe is what we came up with. I substituted sunflower seeds for the cashews because that's what I had on-hand. I also used plain green cabbage because that's the most frugal option. But I'm sure this would be delicious with Napa or Chinese cabbage. It's a great side dish for chicken, fish or pork.

Peanut-Sesame Slaw

1 T. peanut butter
1T. canola oil
1 T. sesame oil
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. honey
2 T. rice vinegar
pinch of red pepper flakes

3 cups shredded green cabbage*
2 large carrots, grated*
1 sweet red pepper, very thinly sliced*
2 T. salted sunflower seeds.

Wisk together dressing ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Toss vegetables into dressing. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds.

*feel free to substitute a bag of cole slaw mix to save time.


1 comment:

  1. Ooh, that looks yummy. :-) Thanks so much for sharing and linking up with Nomday Monday, Victoria! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete