Saturday, February 9, 2013

Trifecta Weekend Challenge: Rhoda

 
            I’m linking up with the Trifecta Weekend Challenge. This week’s Challenge is more of a reading assignment, than a writing assignment. Instead of writing 33 words, we are to post 33 favorite words from a work of literature. I chose a quote from one of the first “grown up” authors I read as a teenager, Ellen Gilchrist. Ms. Gilchrist has written a number of stories and novels about a fiery redheaded writer named Rhoda. This is something  Rhoda says about herself when she finds herself surprisingly proud that her grandson has driven off one of his mother’s suitors.

            I’m a Celt. I pile up stones and keep a loaded pistol in my underwear drawer. My ancestors painted themselves blue and impaled each other on oak staves. I can’t stand tyranny.

The rest of the quote is great. But sadly, I’m only allowed 33 words. If you want to read more, check out A Wedding in Jackson from Rhoda: A Life in Stories


13 comments:

  1. I like this quote (: Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote. To see ourselves as we are - so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to read this one! (I love me some strong women characters)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fabulous quote! Sounds like a great character!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've heard Rhoda complaining on Facebook recently! lol good pick

    ReplyDelete
  6. She sounds like a spitfire. I like that in a character. Nice quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Rhoda already. Awesome selection.

    ReplyDelete