Tuesday, April 24, 2012

100 Word Song: The Marble Hallway

My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog


            I’m getting my 100 Word Song story in under the wire once again for Lance’s link over at My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog. This week’s song to inspire was Bauhaus’ “Of Lillies and Remains”. Here’s a story of Karen as she goes to meet Henry’s parents for the first time. You can read more about Karen here.



The Marble Hallway


            Karen squeezed Henry’s arm as they walked into the country club. The overpowering smell of lilies reminded her of Grampa’s funeral. She fought the urge to crane her neck to see how high the ceiling went. Karen had never been in a place so grand. Fear made her breath quicken.
Then she heard her mother’s voice in her head, “Money doesn’t make them better than you Girlie. Hold your head up high.”
She took a deep breath and smiled up at Henry, determined to act like she belonged here. Determined to be a lady. Determined to leave her past behind.

4 comments:

  1. "Fake it till you make it" or build upon past experiences to create a new being?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes, the place where you walk away from what doesn't fit you anymore. I liked this because it was real. It felt like a movie, one I would want to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Karen you slay me. Every damn time.

    You are a lady, honey, regardless of your past.

    I love how complicated she is and how she finds inner strength. She's a real person to be so fictional. If you know what I mean.

    more please

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlie. The mother's voice in her head was great. She'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete