Saturday, April 28, 2012

200th Blog Post: Something Special


            I like to think I’m pretty good with words. Whether I’m speaking or writing, I rarely have trouble expressing myself. But there is one subject I never express adequately—the way I feel about my husband Dan. We have been together for more than half our lives and tonight we celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary.
            We met in the most unlikely place to start a long-term relationship—a college keg party. Dan was in town visiting his friend and his sister who were both involved with a production of The Wizard of Oz with me. Any theatre person will tell you that a cast party is the last place to meet a guy. But there he was with his curly hair, U2 tee-shirt, and mischievous grin.

            To say that it’s hard to believe it’s been twenty years sounds so trite, but it’s so true. He still has that grin. He still has that playful sense of humor. But he has become so much to me over the years. Dan is my partner in parenting and my best friend. He puts up with my mood swings. He works hard to provide for us. He thinks my laugh lines are cute. He’s a great dad. He’s humble, funny, smart and as handsome as he was twenty years ago.
We compliment each other in so many ways. He goes with the flow. I like to plan things out. He’s thoughtful and quiet. I’m emotional and verbose. When I want to fly off the handle, he helps me look for answers instead.
It’s been a wonderful journey together so far. We have had joyful moments beyond count. Of course there have been sad moments too, but when I look back on those, I am thankful we got through them together. I don’t know why or how I managed to get so lucky, but I am deeply grateful I did.

3 comments:

  1. I can only say: awwwww. Thanks goodness for the heroes in our lives. Happy anniversary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! My husband and I have been together for about 14 years and married for 11. I know what you mean about how hard it to believe that much time has past when your relationship works well - at least most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you on Write on Edge. Very sweet post and I hope you had an incredible anniversary.

    ReplyDelete