Tuesday, April 10, 2012

100 Word Song: The Woman in You

My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog
             I was over the moon when Lance over at My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog asked me to pick this week’s song for the 100 Word Song prompt he hosts. The pressure was on to pick a great song by a great musician. I must thank my wonderful friend, known on this blog as Kate Sterling, who introduced me to the fabulous musician Ben Harper. My tastes can be a little predictable so if it weren’t for her, I might never have heard any of his songs other than his hit from a few years back, “Steal My Kisses”. While that is a great song, it pales in comparison to some of the poetry to be found if you dig a little deeper into his music. I picked the song “The Woman in You” for this week’s 100 Word Song. I hope you enjoy the song and the story…

The Woman in You
            “Why so chipper today Girlie?” Peggy asked.
            Karen shrugged and tried not to look like a thirteen-year-old who’d been caught breaking curfew.
            “Why shouldn’t I be happy?”
            “No reason. But I wouldn’t think taking the clothes off the line is cause for so much joy,” she pressed. “You seen that Henry again?”
            Karen continued folding the worn and faded towels.
            “You have a future Girlie. Don’t blow it on some charmer.”
            “It isn’t like that Mum!”
            “No? Good.”
            “I’m not stupid and I’m not a little girl any more.”
            “I know Sweetie. That’s what scares the hell out of me.”

6 comments:

  1. who's Karen trying to convince? herself or mum?

    I relate to her. she's seems an adult so young. when we see her later, it's like she's lived two or three lives.

    thanks for giving Karen another 100

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice moment to share with the 100 Word song from your character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scares the hell out of me indeed! You couldn't have written a more fitting 100 words for me today! Love it (and the song!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this - I could feel myself standing out there, folding towels along with Karen while I listened in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. poor Karen. She has enough internal doubts and self esteem issues it seems. Certainly doesn't need her mom giving her more doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great response, with her feeling more like a woman who knows her own mind, and her mom recognizing it.

    ReplyDelete